Autumn Seasonal Beer Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions) - Page 51 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Autumn Seasonal Beer Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #501
BigB
 
BigB's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 1,757
Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts


Brewed a batch up today of the extract version. Since it has been months since I have done an extract batch, I had a senior moment. When I was at the LHBS I grabbed a 5 lb bag and a 1 lb bag of DME, figuring that I had .25 lb at home. Then to my surprise, I noticed the LHBS sold 6 lb bags of DME so I put the 5 lb bag back, but kept the 1 lb bag. After cooling I checked my hydro and had a OG of 1.066... DOH! I didn't figure out what I did wrong until I was entering everything into Beersmith. OOPS.. 7.25 lbs DME... Ohwell, diluted to nearly 6 gallons, and split the difference. Then I realized I forgot the Whirlfloc. Ohwell, no biggie there. This was also a last minute batch, so I didn't have time for a starter. So we'll see how she goes.

Also, thank God I didn't do the AG version. The pumpkin was such a PITA with just the extract. Smells great though. Looking forward to this one wrapping up.
__________________
I love the sound of an airlock bubbling in the morning. It sounds like.....VICTORY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #502
natural
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Edmonton
Posts: 140
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Brewed a batch up today of the extract version. Since it has been months since I have done an extract batch, I had a senior moment. When I was at the LHBS I grabbed a 5 lb bag and a 1 lb bag of DME, figuring that I had .25 lb at home. Then to my surprise, I noticed the LHBS sold 6 lb bags of DME so I put the 5 lb bag back, but kept the 1 lb bag. After cooling I checked my hydro and had a OG of 1.066... DOH! I didn't figure out what I did wrong until I was entering everything into Beersmith. OOPS.. 7.25 lbs DME... Ohwell, diluted to nearly 6 gallons, and split the difference. Then I realized I forgot the Whirlfloc. Ohwell, no biggie there. This was also a last minute batch, so I didn't have time for a starter. So we'll see how she goes.

Also, thank God I didn't do the AG version. The pumpkin was such a PITA with just the extract. Smells great though. Looking forward to this one wrapping up.

Doesn't the recipe call for 6.25lbs for a 5 gallon batch? If i'm reading it correctly haha.

** Wait wait. I'm an idiot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #503
BigB
 
BigB's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 1,757
Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
Doesn't the recipe call for 6.25lbs for a 5 gallon batch? If i'm reading it correctly haha.

** Wait wait. I'm an idiot.
Yep, thats why I ended up 13 pts too high! And yes I am an idiot! After diluting it to 6 gallons I ended up with an OG of 1.059. Might end a tad sweet with WLP002, but ohwell.
__________________
I love the sound of an airlock bubbling in the morning. It sounds like.....VICTORY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #504
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TheWeeb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,125
Liked 120 Times on 77 Posts


After reading this thread and experiencing the Rumpkin from Avery (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/aver...-oh-my-200649/) I just have to make this one, perhaps boost up the fermentables a bit and make the spice "tea" with rum.
__________________
____________
"I would Rather Have a Keg of Delirium Tremens than a Case of It"

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #505
fugazzi
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Columbia, MO
Posts: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazzi View Post
Just brewed a pumpkin pie spice beer with no pumpkin (couldn't find any). I scaled the 2nd recipe down to a 5g, and added the spices per instructions. I'll update when it's ready to drink.
Hey, just had a taste of this, a month from brewing. The spices are light but noticible, and smell exactly like pumpkin pie. I brewed a simple apa, so this beer is sessionable as well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #506
natural
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Edmonton
Posts: 140
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


I'm a little worried about being able to find Goldings where I live. I am going out tomorrow to search for some. If I can't find any, any suggestions on what I could sub it out with?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 AM   #507
GillandCo
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
CA
Posts: 436
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


An update...The beer we brewed a while back didn't end up being ready for the lobster party but sat in the fridge for a week or so and tasted good so we decided to bottle...I had some leftovers in the keg. I been pouring off a pint or so a night and I must say the (bottom) of the keg is the best. Or the (top) of a full one. Cheers tell next year. Unless my batch doesnt turn out. Then another 5 gallons for winter.
__________________
If you don't like it...We don't Care!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #508
elproducto
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Ontario
Posts: 1,116
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


Tried my first one after a week in the bottle.
Man, is it ever sweet. Almost wish I'd used US-05 instead. Really nice spice flavor which is stronger than I thought since I dialed back a bit on the spice tea.

Hope it gets a bit better with age.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #509
SourHopHead
 
SourHopHead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 728
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Tried 2 pints last night. I get a well rounded pumpkin and spice. I would like a little more spice in the nose, but this is definitely going to be made again and again! Thanks Yuri!!!
__________________
FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone


"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #510
Squid
 
Squid's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbnpj View Post
I just dumped the spices in secondary instead of making the spice tea. Should this be ok?
Perhaps. I figured the reason for making the "tea" is to sanitize the spices. Hope you don't wind up culturing some untasty microbes!

Also, the hot water probably helps release more spice flavor. No?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale Opinions Brett3rThanU Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 01-11-2012 12:40 AM
Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale question Diaperload General Beer Discussion 1 09-22-2011 11:46 AM
Thunderstruck Pumpkin mashed too low? duffman2 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 09-29-2010 08:20 PM
Whirlfloc for Thunderstruck Pumpkin? kingmatt Recipes/Ingredients 1 07-09-2010 04:35 PM
Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale... Duckfoot Home Brewing Photo Forum 3 07-29-2009 09:52 PM


Forum Jump