Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #1261
Calman2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
I kegged mine this year.

It was lighter than I remember, could late extract additions really lighten it up that much, or am I misremembering the color?
It tasted VERY green and almost a young wine flavor, I was worried I screwed up. But after four days in the keg, it is already tasting better. How long do y'all normally give it to age in the keg?
Not sure why you'd add stuff late in an extract batch other than some hops. When I did mine I added a spice tea at the bottling bucket but in the brew itself I had all the stuff in at the boil. I actually used cut up pumpkin in hop bags that I spiced and baked. It was extra work but resulted in not as much trub. This year I'll be kegging my pumpkin beer (last year was bottles). I can't wait to try it. In the bottle I had to let it sit for at least a couple weeks before it really started tasting good. But after 6 to 8 months, WOW.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #1262
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman2k

Not sure why you'd add stuff late in an extract batch other than some hops. When I did mine I added a spice tea at the bottling bucket but in the brew itself I had all the stuff in at the boil. I actually used cut up pumpkin in hop bags that I spiced and baked. It was extra work but resulted in not as much trub. This year I'll be kegging my pumpkin beer (last year was bottles). I can't wait to try it. In the bottle I had to let it sit for at least a couple weeks before it really started tasting good. But after 6 to 8 months, WOW.
Late extract addition gives a lighter color. I'm just not sure how much. I thought I remembered this being a dark nice pumpkin beer color, this year it was a much lighter color.
I could be mistaken on how dark it was last year though.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #1263
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My latest batch took a 3rd place.
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #1264
LateraLex
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman2k View Post
Brewed this one a couple months ago. Did a couple things different. I added another .25oz hops at the last minute for flavor, worked well, kind of helped cut some of the sweetness from the pumpkin flavor. For the pumpkin, I ended up buying a pumpkin (large) and scraped the inside clean and cut it into about 1.5x1.5 inch chunks. Put on ALL of the different spices, then cooked the pumpkin in my waterless cookware. After it was softish (its a word now) I put the pieces into tight mesh hop bag and put it in at the boil, took it out after 60 min. I kept stirring it around every 10 min or so to get the wort moving through the bag. The result was AMAZING. I had some pumpkin ale at BJ's (SoCal brewery and pizza joint) and I liked this one better. Kuddos on the recipe.
I like this approach to the pumpkin... I am going to brew this again this year but was going to skip the pumpkin as I'm not sure what kind of impact it had (and it was a pain). This might be the move for me, if I can get a fresh one.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #1265
jonnyp1980
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hosting a small homebrew contest for the best pumpkin brew if anyone might be interested prizes for the winner. looking for 10 entries already have two. Check out our YouTube page for the video on it. Should be fun. Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Homebrew...?feature=watch

Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #1266
DArsenault
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

Is the extract version on the first page, just extract or is it partial mash? I'm just curious because I've heard that simply steeping Wheat Flaked isn't the best thing(not sure why, I'm still pretty new to this). Also 6.5 pounds of DME seems a little light for 6 gallon batch(again, sorry if that sounds ignorant). Hopefully it's extract so I can try brewing this, I'm not quite at partial mash yet.
Thanks.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #1267
moscoeb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArsenault
Is the extract version on the first page, just extract or is it partial mash? I'm just curious because I've heard that simply steeping Wheat Flaked isn't the best thing(not sure why, I'm still pretty new to this). Also 6.5 pounds of DME seems a little light for 6 gallon batch(again, sorry if that sounds ignorant). Hopefully it's extract so I can try brewing this, I'm not quite at partial mash yet.
Thanks.
It is extract with steeping grains.
And the 6.5 lbs of DME is correct. This is an excellent beer, sweet and easy drinking.
Follow them to a T at first and you will be fine, then explore or play next time. (I didn't feel it needed it though, I thought it was excellent as is). I couldn't keep this stocked last year as everyone drank it!!
DArsenault Likes This 
Old 08-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #1268
DArsenault
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
It is extract with steeping grains.
And the 6.5 lbs of DME is correct. This is an excellent beer, sweet and easy drinking.
Follow them to a T at first and you will be fine, then explore or play next time. (I didn't feel it needed it though, I thought it was excellent as is). I couldn't keep this stocked last year as everyone drank it!!
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm going to scale it down to a 5 gallon from the 6 gallon recipe on the first page, but other than that I plan on following the exact recipe.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #1269
moscoeb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArsenault
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm going to scale it down to a 5 gallon from the 6 gallon recipe on the first page, but other than that I plan on following the exact recipe.
You will need about 6 gal to end up with 5.
I usually fit about 5.5 in my carbon and finish with about 4.5 after racking off the trub.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #1270
46binder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just did this as an AG, 5 gallon batch. I used 1/2 lb rice hulls, and started the mash with a tad more water than the usual 1.3 qts per lb. Mashed in 3.75 gallons, batched sparged with 3.5, no stuck sparge, got 5.75 gallons, and thats all. Had a visitor, lost track of time, boiled extra 15 min, got a little less than the 5. Looking forward to this one.