Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #1051
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerArchitect54 View Post
I am brewing the extract version of this on Saturday and have a few questions.

1) Do I strain the pumpkin out of my wort when adding to the primary to help reduce the turb?

Or will that remove something that will contribute to the taste and or finished product.

I was just thinking that this might help cut down on turb and the loss of head space in the primary.

I'm also worried the build up of turb will clog my tap when racking into the secondary.

2) Is it best to add the spice tea (Pampered Chef recipe) to the secondary?

3) Thoughts on using 120 oz of pumpkin vs the 30 oz called for?

Cant wait to brew this!

Thanks
I just dumped my wort straight to the fermenting bucket without trying to strain it. When I racket it to my carboy after fermentation, I used an auto-siphon and was just careful to not get into the large amount of trub on the bottom and it worked pretty good for me!

As for your question regarding the spice tea, this is a quote from Yuri on the first page that should answer your questoin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
I've added the spices at flameout, when racking for clearing (yeah, I mean "secondary" - I simply despise that term!), or even when kegging. The results are remarkably similar. The later in the process that you add the spices, the stronger and fresher/sharper the flavor. The spice flavor does fade over time, and the difference can be quite significant over a long period of aging.
I added mine at bottling and I must say, it is really damn good. Can't attest to adding the spice tea any other times, but I think Yuri does a pretty good job of addressing that.

Hope this helps...

Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #1052
LateraLex
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'm going to BIAB this recipe on Saturday, and was thinking about using two bags. One for pumpkin one for grains... does that sound like a good idea?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #1053
BeerArchitect54
Recipes 

Thanks MMJfan!!! This did help!

Do you mean "Brew In A Bag"?

I guess that could be an option. I could use a grain bag to hold the pumpkin and then remove when I cooled and poured into my primary.

My main question is if I would be losing anything if I filtered out the pumpkin before fermenting?

Thanks
Andrew

Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #1054
MMJfan
Recipes 

I think the canned pumpkin sort of dissolves during the boil? If you were using fresh pumpkin cut into chunks, then a mesh bag would work well. I just don't see it as being too effective with canned pumpkin...

And also, I wouldn't think you would lose anything by trying to filter the pumpking out when racking it to your fermentor. The spices are what give this beer most of the flavor and the pumpkin is more for texture and slight flavor. I've read several posts about people skipping the pumpkin altogether. I just couldn't do that because then it wouldn't be a true pumpkin ale in my opinion...

Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #1055
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really wish I would have practiced patience when I made this batch last year. I drank most of it before it was ready. I found a bottle of it last week (so if had aged for close to 8-9 months), and it tasted great.

I would like to get a batch going now and let it sit until the holidays.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #1056
bradford0113
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks MMJfan!!! This did help!

I guess that could be an option. I could use a grain bag to hold the pumpkin and then remove when I cooled and poured into my primary.

My main question is if I would be losing anything if I filtered out the pumpkin before fermenting?

Thanks
Andrew
I did the extract version about 2 weeks ago. I put 30oz of canned pumpkin in a nylon paint strainer bag for the entire 60 minute boil. In the end, there was very little pumpkin left in the bag. Most had dissolved through the bag and into the wort. After primary ferm was done there was quite a bit of pumpkin settled in the bottom of the fermentor. I started with 5.5 gallons in primary and probably have about 4.5 gallons in secondary now where I added the spice tea.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #1057
BeerArchitect54
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford0113 View Post
I did the extract version about 2 weeks ago. I put 30oz of canned pumpkin in a nylon paint strainer bag for the entire 60 minute boil. In the end, there was very little pumpkin left in the bag. Most had dissolved through the bag and into the wort. After primary ferm was done there was quite a bit of pumpkin settled in the bottom of the fermentor. I started with 5.5 gallons in primary and probably have about 4.5 gallons in secondary now where I added the spice tea.
I think this clears up the pumpkin in a bag question... I will just add the pumpkin to the boil. I'm going with 120 oz of pumpkin to really boost the flavor up (fingers crossed).. I am also thinking I will wait to add the spiced tea to the secondary.

Just for the sake of asking; How many gallons did you start the boil with? I input all this information into Brew Smith and have a print out of directions. However, I'm really concerned that I did this right.

Anyone that can share there Brew Smith instructions, and or any print out of their instructions?

Thanks
Andrew

Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #1058
MMJfan
Recipes 

I started my boil at around 7 gal so that I would have enough to finish with 6 gal. in the fermentor. When I racked it to the carboy for clearing, I lost about 1 gal. to trub. Still happy to get 5 gal. on bottling day though!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #1059
MMJfan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeholleratya View Post
I really wish I would have practiced patience when I made this batch last year. I drank most of it before it was ready. I found a bottle of it last week (so if had aged for close to 8-9 months), and it tasted great.

I would like to get a batch going now and let it sit until the holidays.
That's why I ordered 2 batches worth of ingredients!

Once I down the first case, I'm going to start up round 2 of this! There is NO WAY I would make it to Thanksgiving on just one batch. Plus, my wife is loving this brew too so it will go twice as fast!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #1060
bradford0113
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Just for the sake of asking; How many gallons did you start the boil with? I input all this information into Brew Smith and have a print out of directions. However, I'm really concerned that I did this right.
Andrew
I started with a little over 2.5 gallons before adding the steeping grains. The grains soaked up a lot but then when I added the pumpkin and extract I was back up to a little over 2.5 gallons. After the 60 minute boil, I probably had about 2 gallons of wort. Added that to the fermentor and topped off to 5.5 gallons before pitching the yeast. I ended up with an original gravity of 1.050. After 10 days, it was down to 1.010 when transferring to secondary for spice tea addition.