Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Persimmon Wine

Old 09-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also... for reference...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/absu...roject-154932/

Old 09-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
MeadHorn
Recipes 

Thanks for linking that post, it made my day!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I am about to make my first Persimmon Wine!! We have a great Hachiya Persimmon tree in our backyard that produces a lot of fruit. As was mentioned before Hachiya have to be super ripe before you eat. So if all my fruit is NOT ready at the same time can I take the ripe stuff and start the wine and gradually add more fruit as it ripens? I would make sure I add a Campden tab before I add the fruit to kill any wild yeast. Another alternative is to just add the fruit in the sanitized bucket with Campden tabs and keep adding to it until I have enough for 5-6 gallons of wine. What do you guys think?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I am about to make my first Persimmon Wine!! We have a great Hachiya Persimmon tree in our backyard that produces a lot of fruit. As was mentioned before Hachiya have to be super ripe before you eat. So if all my fruit is NOT ready at the same time can I take the ripe stuff and start the wine and gradually add more fruit as it ripens? I would make sure I add a Campden tab before I add the fruit to kill any wild yeast. Another alternative is to just add the fruit in the sanitized bucket with Campden tabs and keep adding to it until I have enough for 5-6 gallons of wine. What do you guys think?
Freeze ripe pulp until you have what you need. Hachiya will shift from that hard bitter fruit to soft, sweet if you freeze it whole for a few days and then thaw it. But freeze the ones that have spots of softness for best impact if you plan to freezer sweeten. You could definitely step feed the ripe fruit into the ferment but you will have impossible time calculating SG and ACV, but you would need to be sure to kerp it coming in increments.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
Texconsinite
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I just discovered a source of fresh soft persimmons to make wine with, but am wondering how you process the fruit. can i thaw and juice the whole fruit including the skins, or do i need to peel off the skins?
Also, do you all recommend making this from just persimmons, or is ther another fruit this should be blended with?

Old 11-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
GalvinBrew
Recipes 

Hello,

First post here. I'm new to wine making, so I'd like some help (if it's not too late already). I went to my local market across the street yesterday, and the market was loaded with super ripe Hachiya persimmons. I just bought some gear to make wine, so I was looking for something to make wine out. I bought about 20 ripe persimmons. Slushed them up in my food processor, added some water and chopped raisins and heated it all up in a pot.
Now my problem is: the stuff was so sludgey, I couldn't take a SG measurement :P I figured the mix needed some extra sugar, so I added about 700grams. My total volume was about 5L (because my demi-john only holds 5L).

Does anyone know if what I did was good? Will the mix become more watery, or will it stay thick after fermentation? Did I add enough sugar? I added about 2.75L of persimmon sludge and added about 2.25L of water and a handful of raisins. When the mix was cooled down to about 45 degrees Celsius I added a small teaspoon of pectic enzyme.

I will be adding the yeast in a couple of minutes. (some all-purpose wine yeast from my home brew shop)

I will add photos soon!

Old 11-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #17
GalvinBrew
Recipes 

Ok. So I think I had it coming...I added one packet of yeast (because it said so on the pack). I thought it would be a waste to use a bit and ditch the rest. Well. The cap of my airlock was blown off and now there's persimmon slugde everywhere. The jug is in the lab where I do my internship and my supervisor send me horrible pictures xD I think I'm gonna dump half out and fill it up to 5L with water and sugar :P see how that goes. Still, any tips would be great. Or a (link to a) recipe.

Thnx

Old 11-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #18
GalvinBrew
Recipes 

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415918207.652196.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	800.3 KB
ID:	235668 before
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415918276.685375.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	235670 after

Old 11-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #19
ong
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 145 Posts

I wouldn't dump it out... The more you dilute it, the less persimmon flavor you'll have. Maybe just put it in a nice tub to make cleanup easier, and plan on more headspace next time (and a blowoff tube!).

Old 11-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
GalvinBrew
Recipes 

Update: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416002946.544822.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	850.0 KB
ID:	235913
I've cleaned it up. Sanitized the airlock and stopper again and put it back in. This thing is bubbling like crazy. Had to shake it every 10-15 minutes to prevent it from overflowing. Luckely there was a spare shake-plate in the lab. And that really did the job of knocking the trapped airbubbles out of the sludge. I think it will survive the weekend. How long does primairy fermentation usually take?