argh! insect in my wort :-( - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > argh! insect in my wort :-(

Old 09-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
jacobezzell
Recipes 

May 2011
Denver, CO

After a long brew day I had left my wort in the brew pot in the fermenting fridge to finish cooling to pitch temp. Pulled it out at 9:30pm and was getting ready to transfer into the carboy when I saw one little dead insect "doing the backstroke."

After some cursing and internal debate I decided to boil it back up for five minutes and rechill, then pitch tomorrow.

Would anyone have just pitched anyway? It was a really small bug but lord (of the flies) knows what it might have regurgitated, right?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Beezy
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

I probably would just pitch yeah. Maybe fish it out with a sanitized spoon. I am certainly not dumping it because of a little fly. They don't drink much! I have gotten a fruit fly or two in my bucket after fermentation somehow. I mean it's either infected or it's not. I even had an infected batch and am drinking it now. Not a big deal is the short.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
Cosper123
Recipes 

May 2011
Antioch, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Chances are that little bastard flew in during the boil he's sanitized welle enough I'd have pitched after fishing him out.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
jacobezzell
Recipes 

May 2011
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy
I mean it's either infected or it's not. I even had an infected batch and am drinking it now. Not a big deal is the short.
How infected? I haven't heard of a good accidentally infected brew.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Beezy
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobezzell

How infected? I haven't heard of a good accidentally infected brew.
It's lacto or something I dunno. Didn't see it till I went to bottle. Bottled them anyway and they got a little film on top in the bottles but they still smell and taste great. Probably not for long tho. I dunno.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
Reidman
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Vancouver, WA
Liked 15 Times on 1 Posts

I would have left him, pitched and used this as an opportunity to name your beer...Dead "fly" Ale...but seriously, I wouldn't worry about one little insect destroying a whole batch.

I'd be more worried about re-boiling the wort after it's been chilled. Never heard of anyone doing that before. I wonder if that would have any ill effects...

Old 09-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
staten island
Liked 546 Times on 415 Posts

Jeff Goldblum was in your beer?
Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
pm5k00
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Cibolo, TX
Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts

I've had a fly do a dive bomb right into my wort during the end of chilling down to pitching temp, no big deal, I fished him out and the beer was great.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
sacrifice
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Juneau, AK
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I live in mosquito/no-see-um/fly/flying bug heaven. I brew in my garage with the doors open. Mosquitos (and some other flying things) seem very attracted to burning propane, so I always have something falling into my wort as I am chilling it, and sometimes when it is less than 70 degrees. I just scoop them out and proceed on with the process. So far there have been no issues at all.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Finger Lakes
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Had a few ladybugs drop into mine.....no problems