Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann boilermaker/hop blocker

Old 09-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
enohcs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 10 Posts

Default Blichmann boilermaker/hop blocker

Anyone who uses this, with the dip tube being so close to the bottom, do you ever have issues with break material or hops getting pumped into your fermentor?
does the hop blocker work as advertised?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 89

i find it does not for me. this is a very hit and miss gadget, mostly miss.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
millaj92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to use one before I got pumps. It works very well but ONLY if you use it as exactly described in the literature that it comes with. Specifically, only when using gravity to drain the BK and NOT with a pump. The first two times I used it I had some trouble getting the timing/flow right, but after I figure it out, I loved it. But hey that's just me.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
bullywee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I had issues at first and almost gave up using it, then I followed the specific instructions in the Blichmann video and it had worked well since

Old 10-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
hinke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I keep forgetting to pull the screen up at the end....Other than that it works great.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullywee View Post
I had issues at first and almost gave up using it, then I followed the specific instructions in the Blichmann video and it had worked well since
where can we find this video? I am about to give up with this thing as well...
edit: nvm found it. I think the problem is I am not waiting long enough. I usually wait about 10 minutes. Will try 20 next time

Old 10-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
poislb
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I ran into a problem with mine on sunday, but i think i know why. One, i cant get a good whirlpool going and 2, i must have bumped the hop blocker up on the riser in the kettle while cooling with the chiller...My wort chiller barley fits in the BK and must have knocked it enough for hop residue to sneak under the hop blocker...

Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
bighand
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As others have posted, if you follow Blichmann's instructions it works fine. I have used it on over 17 batches, some with over 10 ounces of pellet hops and never had a problem.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Ziggybrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I want to try this gadget with my Blichmann 20 gallon. I don't freak out so much about what goes into the fermenter, however I hate clogged valves and funnel screens. This is about the only issue on brew day that I haven't smoothed out. I have tried a stainless steel scrubby around the neck of the dip tube with the whirlpool method and it still clogs on the last few gallons. I am starting to use hop bags as well. Maybe hop bags and this hop blocker and a settled whirlpool combined with the scrubby will beat the problem. I would love to eliminated spraying Star-san on my arms and reaching in.

Ya think???

Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #10
millaj92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggybrew View Post
I want to try this gadget with my Blichmann 20 gallon. I don't freak out so much about what goes into the fermenter, however I hate clogged valves and funnel screens. This is about the only issue on brew day that I haven't smoothed out. I have tried a stainless steel scrubby around the neck of the dip tube with the whirlpool method and it still clogs on the last few gallons. I am starting to use hop bags as well. Maybe hop bags and this hop blocker and a settled whirlpool combined with the scrubby will beat the problem. I would love to eliminated spraying Star-san on my arms and reaching in.

Ya think???
I would say that this piece is perfect for you. It does let a lot of trub into the fermenter but of course it will settle out in the primary. It does a great job of keeping the big chunks out of your chiller and it also will not clog on the last few gallons.

Here's a summation of advice on that piece:
1) Read the directions 100% and follow them to the T
2) Don't use a pump
3) Don't use whole hops

On a side note, I have a gently used one that I don't use anymore if you can't get ahold of one easily.