First Year Cascade Final 2011 Harvest - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > First Year Cascade Final 2011 Harvest

Old 09-03-2011, 11:56 PM   #1

Boy #2 helping to harvest the final crop of our first-year Cascades with me this morning. We got a total of 32 ounces this year, the first year we've grown hops. http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Th...p-harvest-2011

Old 09-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
rniles
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You are nicer than I. Mine are Thing 1 and Thing 2.

32 oz is darn good for first year. Congrats!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Liked 5299 Times on 5119 Posts

Congrats. 32 ounces of wet hops equates to about 6 ounces of dried. Pretty good teaser for future years. Where are you in Chicago, Pappers?

I often feel like the dumbest person in the room here -JuanMoore

Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
. . Where are you in Chicago, Pappers?
I'm in southwest suburban Oak Lawn, R.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6696 Times on 3959 Posts

That is so cool. I am absolutely buying rhysomes this year. Where'd you get yours?

How many hours of direct sunlight do they get each day? When did you plant?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #6

You can see what I did in this hop planting blog post http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Th...nting-the-hops

I bought the rhizomes from Glen Fuller at Rising Sun Farm - Glen is on HBT as Hopfarmer (if memory serves). He's an organic farmer who began growing hops a while ago - I bought some of his cascades last year (the hops, not the rhizomes) and they were outstanding. A link to his farm is on the post.

I planted 3 hills of cascades and 2 hills of willamettes. They all came up just fine, the willamettes never really thrived, always looked spindly and like they needed more water, but I watered them plenty, the same as the cascades. I trust that they were gathering strength this year and will come back better next spring.

The cascades went nuts - up the trellis, good strong growth, healthy looking leaves and bines, and a good number of cones.

Estate du Pappers is shaded with many trees, and finding sunlight is a challenge. So, we grew them along the two-story side of the house, which happens to face west. So, it gets lots of sun in the afternoon and early evening, but not so much sun in the morning. We ran twine from stakes in the hop hills to the 2nd story windows, as our trellis. I have pictures of the set up on the link above.

I had a little Japanese beetle problem, not really an infestation, but I sprayed an organic solution and picked off the little buggers by hand and after a couple of weeks, they went away.

I notice that the first year cascades do not smell as overwhelmingly cascade-like as the hops I buy. A member of my homebrew club told me that was normal, that both the flavor and aroma of first year hops is often muted. I figure I'll use them as late additions and dry hopping, in large quantities.

It was really fun this year, from the planning to the planting, the tending and the harvesting. We harvested twice - the first time on a ladder and the second time we cut the bines down. The picture of Rob above is from when we cut the bines down.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
solbes
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Liked 237 Times on 217 Posts

Wow, quite a bit for your first year. My first year Cascade and Williamette gave me maybe 1 oz dried combined. Maybe dry hop a pale ale this winter with them. Mine are not real fragrant either, but I expect big things next year. Gives me something else to look forward to over winter.
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VII #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: Dark Belgian Strong, Black Raspberry Rhubarb wine, RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA

Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7719 Times on 5422 Posts

Nice pictures!

We ended up with (dried) 1.5 ounces centennial (first year), 6 ounces chinook (second year), halleratauer not harvested but there were a TON, and 28 ounces of dried cascades.

I wethopped one ale with the cascades, and will now dryhop a batch with centennial/cascade/chinook, I think!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
. . . I wethopped one ale with the cascades, and will now dryhop a batch with centennial/cascade/chinook, I think!
I'm going to use our cascades to dry hop, too.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #10
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Aurora, IL
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Pappers, welcome to the unofficial Chicago Land Hop Grower Society. I'm in Aurora IL. Randar has been giving me advice for... three years now? Every tip he gives me has improved me garden and hops. A true Chicago-land resource!