Draconian Libations': Saison Sauvages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY3724 & WLP650
Yeast Starter
1800 ML - both strains simultaneously
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
45 Days - Start at 70 and ramp up to 90 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
bottle conditioning
Tasting Notes
Sensational beer. Big fruit (apricot), peppery phenols, big Brett funk.
7 lb 04 oz - Pilsner Malt (55.9%)
1 lb 10 oz - Vienna Malt (12.6%)
1 lb 10 oz - Munich Malt (12.6%)
1 lb 02 oz - Dark Wheat Malt (8.7%)
0 lb 11 oz - Golden Nkd Oats (5.3%)
0 lb 10 oz - Dextrose (4.9%)

0.950 Oz US Saaz (60 Mins)
0.550 Oz Citra (15 Mins)
1.000 Oz Citra ( 0 Mins )

1 Whirfloc Tablet (15 Mins)
.50 Tsp Yeast Nutrient (15 Mins)

8.2% ABV

-The key to this beer is pitching the Brett B right up front with the Saison Dupont 3724 strain. If you have never worked with #3724, be prepared. It is a stubborn and difficult strain but don't panic. You don't need to use another strain to finish it. This strain MUST be warmed to a temp of at least 85 degrees. Dont worry about the Brett at those temps. Time and temperature are key to finish the #3724. The reason you dont want to pitch a second saccro strain is because you want the earthy, apricot-y, peppery flavors. In 2-5 days, it will appear your fermentation has stalled...but it hasnt. A few days at those warms temps will fire things back up. At 5 weeks, all signs of fermentation had completed and the gravity was steady at 1.003. I did allow it to sit one extra week to be sure. At 6 weeks, you will have all of the Brett character that you have ever wanted. If you brew this one, you won't regret it...and please let me know. Id love to know how it turned out for you.

My brett saison is similar (recipe is around here somewhere) only without as much specialty grain and brett c instead of brett b.

Agreed on copitching the brett with the primary strain.

Looks like a tasty beer!

dwarven_stout said:
My brett saison is similar (recipe is around here somewhere) only without as much specialty grain and brett c instead of brett b.

Agreed on copitching the brett with the primary strain.

Looks like a tasty beer!

Next summer I'm going to try it with Brett L.

[email protected]

subscribe

chrisdb, I see you are from Philly. I entered this beer in the Ale-iens Monk Melee last fall. The beer scored very well but the Belgian Specialty category must have had some killer brew that scored well into the 40's.

Back