Belgian Blond Ale SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Belgian Wit WP400
Yeast Starter
Yeast Cake From Prior Brew
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.9 (SRM)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days (65 degrees)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days (65 degrees)
Additional Fermentation
One week chilling in keg
Style: Belgian Blond Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Belgian_Blonde_Color.jpg
Estimated IBU: 18.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 +/- Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
0.25 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min)

1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body (154-156 degrees), Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.25 lb

NOTE:
This is a basic Belgian Blonde AG recipe kit I got from Midwest. Awesome beer. I ended up pitching this onto a Belgian Wit (WL400) yeast cake from a prior session. This was a long primary. 14 days and very vigorous.

I named it the SWMBO Slayer because it is decievingly potent. A very smooth, mellow tase with a medium body and just a hint of the fruity flavor from the yeast. Very refreshing.

My SWMBO loves this beer, but one glass on an empty stomach and she was out like a light at 7:00PM. I'll definitely do this one again and may back off on the Pale by about a pound to bring the ABV down a bit.

Easy recipe and one of Midwests cheapest recipe kits. ($15)
How could she resist this:
Belgian_Blond_Pour.JPG
Belgian_Blond_Pour_1.JPG
Hear what others are saying and give me your feedback herehttps://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=261836#post261836

This is a basic Belgian Blonde AG recipe kit I got from Midwest. Awesome beer. I ended up pitching this onto a Belgian Wit (WL400) yeast cake from a prior session. This was a long primary. 14 days and very vigorous.

I named it the SWMBO Slayer because it is decievingly potent. A very smooth, mellow tase with a medium body and just a hint of the fruity flavor from the yeast. Very refreshing.

My SWMBO loves this beer, but one glass on an empty stomach and she was out like a light at 7:00PM. I'll definitely do this one again and may back off on the Pale by about a pound to bring the ABV down a bit.

Here's the link to the recipe post...

Belgian_Blonde_Color.jpg

interesting.....

I normally dont like belgians but Im willing to give them another shot. hows the tartness on this one?

How different is this from the Blue Moon ?

I want to make another beer with my *FROZEN* Belgian Wit yeast to see if it does indeed work after being frozen for 2 weeks.

What exactly is 0.25 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) wheat ? What if my LHBS doesn't have it ?

Not tart at all, otherwise my SWMBO wouldn't drink it. There is that mellow undertone of fruit, but no sourness or truly identifiable citrus flavor.

This is more mild than the Beglian Wit (Blue Moon). No coriander or orange zest.

For people who drink Blue Moon and say "if only it didn't have that pepper taste"...this is perfect.

I just took a sip of my Blue Moon and its sharper than I expected. Its still a good beer, just different. I think the zest came through pretty strong. Its almost citricy. Its 10 days old now. I'm going to fine it and bottle it on Monday.

So this recipe is mellower ?

brewman ! said:
I just took a sip of my Blue Moon and its sharper than I expected. Its still a good beer, just different. I think the zest came through pretty strong. Its almost citricy. Its 10 days old now. I'm going to fine it and bottle it on Monday.

So this recipe is mellower ?
Mellower flavor, but stronger alcohol.

That zest you tase will subside considerably. Along with chilling and carbing, you'll find that it really becomes less aggressive.

I find that tasting my secondary (light ale) beers yields little to no real flavor. That's why the coriander and orange are screaming through right now.

any chance there is an extract version of this...it sounds delicious ?

and sorry about the newb question...but WTF is SWMBO? :(

brewinfool said:
any chance there is an extract version of this...it sounds delicious ?

and sorry about the newb question...but WTF is SWMBO? :(
SWMBO = Someone Who Must Be Obeyed. Normally...the wife..or girlfriend..or if you're lucky...both...

I'll look into an extract version of that recipe.

BierMuncher said:
SWMBO = Someone Who Must Be Obeyed. Normally...the wife..or girlfriend..or if you're lucky...both...

boy is that the TRUTH...at least 'round these parts

thanks...i'd really appreciate it

BierMuncher said:

boy is that the TRUTH...at least 'round these parts

thanks...i'd really appreciate it

and one is MORE than enough... i'm no tony soprano ;)

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.28 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 47.6 %
1.25 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 4.8 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 47.6 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Steep the Flaked Wheat in 145 degree water for 1 hour and proceed to strain, bring to boil and add extracts.

Quick newb question - if your just steeping 5lbs of flaked wheat, are you getting fermentables from that? I thought you needed to add some 2 or 6 row for enzymes to convert the starches.

Could do this as a PM

I would do this as a partial mash at minimum. The Wheat malet and flaked add too much to the body of the beer to risk missing out.

As for Flaked Wheat requiring 2 or 6-row enzymes for conversion? That sounds right.

I tapped my AG rendition of this a couple of days ago -- lowered pale malt by .5 lb, used slightly lower % williamette, & added an oz. of sweet orange peel to last 30 mins of boil

did a long secondary

you were right -- swmbo is a huge fan
thx for the inspiration

blondeslayeroe8.jpg

edit: included pic -- lighting sucks

Glad she like it. Looks like it turned out nice.

When you get down to the last 50% of that keg, the beer should clear up nice. That's a great looking beer goblet for that style.

Just poured SWMBO a glass of this. It was a big hit!

I believe her exact words were, "You made this?"

Thanks BM!

Just kegged my belgian pale/blonde tonight. Not this same recipe - no wheat, used abbey ale yeast, but its about the same color as Biermunchers and only 25IBU from hallarteau. Can't wait to start drinking this... love belgians... love the estery profile from the yeast... but can't always be drinking tripels and such so this should suit me as a 'session belgian'... Mmm mmm...

I've been looking at that recipe and thinking I need to give it a shot as a great summer beer for SWMBO. (or maybe just something she will actually drink that I made)

Thanks Davey- your post just convinced me.

Update: 3/4 of a pint after a long day and she's napping on the couch. Lightweight!

Make sure you find the happy medium between just enough to get her frisky and sleepy time ......

What if the LHBS doesn't have flaked or torrified wheat? Should I just replace it with a little wheat malt?

Also, which WYeast yeast? 3056 or 3333?

If you have a local organics food store, they may have flaked grains there. I get all my flaked wheat ,barley, and rye from one.

Just moved SWMBO slayer to secondary... I can already tell this is going to be a clear brew, looks great already. Sat in primary for 17 days, like Biermuncher said this thing ferments for awhile (went strong for about 10 days, then bubbled about every 10 seconds or so for another 4).

I backed off slightly on the grain bill, but ended up getting better efficiency then I planned (finally getting my process down). OG was 1.046, with gravity currently sitting at 1.010. A great beer to brew.. easy and cheap!

Will post in a few weeks with pictures... I finally have a backlog of kegs to tap, what a great feeling!

billym99 said:
Just moved SWMBO slayer to secondary... I can already tell this is going to be a clear brew, looks great already. Sat in primary for 17 days, like Biermuncher said this thing ferments for awhile (went strong for about 10 days, then bubbled about every 10 seconds or so for another 4).

I backed off slightly on the grain bill, but ended up getting better efficiency then I planned (finally getting my process down). OG was 1.046, with gravity currently sitting at 1.010. A great beer to brew.. easy and cheap!

Will post in a few weeks with pictures... I finally have a backlog of kegs to tap, what a great feeling!
Nice. I'm telling ya...the chics will be all over this beer.

how do you think this would turn out with wyeast 3086 weihenstephan yeast?

wyeast.com-"Dominated by banana ester production, phenols and clove-like characteristics. Extremely attenuative yeast, which produces a tart, refreshing finish"

scinerd3000 said:
how do you think this would turn out with wyeast 3086 weihenstephan yeast?

wyeast.com-"Dominated by banana ester production, phenols and clove-like characteristics. Extremely attenuative yeast, which produces a tart, refreshing finish"
It wouldn't really be true to a Belgian Blonde style. The nice thing about this beer is the slight malt flavor and a mild wit yeast that is slightly floral and a bit fruity.

I think the banana clove would be a bit to dominant.

I will be doing the extract recipe you gave next. Does this require 2-stage fermentation?

fbi365 said:
I will be doing the extract recipe you gave next. Does this require 2-stage fermentation?
Not necessarily.

I'd only suggest that whether you keep the beer in a single fermenter or rack to a secondary, that you give it at least 3 weeks and not rush it.

The extract process actually benefits from a longer fermentation in that the beer "cleans up" better.

righteous. I pretty stoked about this beer, as I will be finishing my third beer in the Belgian style. I will also be pitching onto an old yeast cake from a witbeir that is fermenting right now. This will be a new technique for me.

fbi365 said:
righteous. I pretty stoked about this beer, as I will be finishing my third beer in the Belgian style. I will also be pitching onto an old yeast cake from a witbeir that is fermenting right now. This will be a new technique for me.
Ya might consider rigging a blow off tube. :D

Has anyone tried and liked the Extract version of this recipie suggested by BierMuncher?

Midwest sells this as an all-grain kit and extract. There extract kit includes:

3 lbs. Wheat DME
2 lbs. Extra Lght DME
8 oz. Caramel 10°L
8 oz. Flaked Wheat
4 oz. Caravienne malt

1 oz hops (looks like they changed to Glacier from Williamette)

BTW, the extract verison you posted is not good. It calls for .5 wheat LME and 5.0 flaked wheat. Is that a typo?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I showed this to my lhbs and she laughed at me. Do you know how much 5.0 Lbs of flaked wheat is? That is way too much for a 5 gal batch.

BTW, the extract verison you posted is not good. It calls for .5 wheat LME and 5.0 flaked wheat. Is that a typo?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I showed this to my lhbs and she laughed at me. Do you know how much 5.0 Lbs of flaked wheat is? That is way too much for a 5 gal batch.

Use this extract recipe, it's the one from Midwest's site:

Midwest sells this as an all-grain kit and extract. There extract kit includes:

3 lbs. Wheat DME
2 lbs. Extra Lght DME
8 oz. Caramel 10°L
8 oz. Flaked Wheat
4 oz. Caravienne malt

1 oz hops (looks like they changed to Glacier from Williamette)

Latest posts

Back