Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put money down on that Guardian 9 suppressor today, FiNALLY! Im not thrilled with my shop though, they first told me it was out of stock over the phone (I had checked two days prior, and it was in stock). They are just down the road from my house, so I told a guy I worked with I would swing buy and see if they had a pistol he was interested in. I figured I would double check on the Guardian 9, and sure enough, they had one in the case. I asked a sales rep, and he told me if it was in the case, I could buy it. He then checked inventory and they had 11!

To make a long story short, they wound up screwing me on the paperwork. The guy who is in charge of the NFA stuff "didnt have the time tonight", which I was told AFTER they took my money. He said he would call in a week and we can finish it up. Joke is on them, Im going to be in there every single day until they have paperwork for me to finalize and mail out.

Not sure where you are, but a shop that offers those items and with an individual actually ORDERING and doing all the paperwork should be more accommodating to a person actually wanting to go through the hassle of the class 3 papers. I'd find a group of guys wanting to actually sell those items. There are plenty of shops and sellers who do, and plenty who are great with their customers who deserve your money.

At least in the KC area there are lots of guys who are all great and honest about class 3 stuff (or anything else really) here. In fact I've only met 3 shop owners who were complete pricks, and 2 are out of business now. The 3rd is only still open cause he was the only guy to sell AR parts in NKC for a long time.

Not sure where you are, but a shop that offers those items and with an individual actually ORDERING and doing all the paperwork should be more accommodating to a person actually wanting to go through the hassle of the class 3 papers. I'd find a group of guys wanting to actually sell those items. There are plenty of shops and sellers who do, and plenty who are great with their customers who deserve your money.

At least in the KC area there are lots of guys who are all great and honest about class 3 stuff (or anything else really) here. In fact I've only met 3 shop owners who were complete pricks, and 2 are out of business now. The 3rd is only still open cause he was the only guy to sell AR parts in NKC for a long time.

As a general rule I ONLY go to this shop when I need something I cant get anywhere else, their customer service is normally pretty bad, even if you know exactly what you want and have cash in hand. There are only two shops (both operated by the same people) that do NFA items around here. There are a few really good ones in Indianapolis, but that is a two hour drive. I had originally planned to do it down there, but I went against my better judgement and decided not to wait the extra two weeks when I was already going to be down there. Oh well, the damage is done. I put money down on Monday, and called them on Thursday. I was able to convince the guy to stay a few minutes late on Valentines Day to let me come in and fill out my paperwork, and I got it all sent off to the NFA overnighted (that was more for my benefit, I know it accomplishes nothing).

Now that I have done everything I possibly can, I can just wait. And wait. And wait. If everything goes according to plan, I should be shooting suppressed by September! Hopefully by then prices will stabilize some and I can get a threaded barrel for my P226.

I just have a few guns, 2 traditional .50 cal. 1 is a left handed Hawkins, and a right handed .50 cal. Hawkins both are percussion, I .44 cal. mag. Ruger 6" barrel. also an 870 12guage Winchester, and a .22 mag. I did not like shooting the Ruger with .44 mag. shells, the first time I shot the gun with mag shells I shot 18 rounds and my wrist became so swollen I could not move it, and my watch also broke. Then I started using regular .44 shells and it was a lot better. I have not hunted in about five years I injured my shoulder in an accident,and cannot support the barrel with my bad shoulder, The gun I really love to shoot is the .22 mag. it is very accurate. I have been hunting since I could hold both ends of a rifle off of the ground. I am a lefty, which made hard to shoot a right handed gun in the service. How ever I did and made expert.

Still thinking about getting a new handgun. I only have a Ruger Blackhawk Super Single revolver in .22/.22 Mag and it's "fine" for what it is, but I want something I can plink with that doesn't cost a fortune to shoot at the range and I can still carry at some point.

Too many choices! My heart is saying I need a 9mm, but .22 would be way cheaper to shoot.

Hey, this is still here!
I keep thinking I should get a new 9mm pistol. But another part of me wants to build an AR 9mm (in pistol form). But I keep hearing things about getting them to tune correctly to shoot reliably, which just makes me think skip the 9mm part and just go with a 6.8 for better reliability and suppression.

Built a Mosin over the winter. Went through it, did the bent bolt, new springs, Timney trigger, new stock. Spent a good $600 altogether. But when I consider I can get the ammo at $0.20 per round, that's a lot of full power plinking. Now to just get the thing sighted in.

10245398_10100591479747309_906498610170313578_n.jpg

150292_10100591479712379_5474919977867786292_n.jpg

10358886_10100591479792219_2414054859870589130_n.jpg

Got hands on a couple of 9mm at a sporting goods store the other day. I like the 9 for size, but several of them didn't feel right in my hands. Some of the more compact models made me feel like it might jump out of my hands while shooting. Grip just didn't come down far enough to feel secure. I guess that's the downside to having a conceal weapon.

They had a .22 target pistol there too. Weird device. Felt strangely balanced, even though it had a huge barrel on it.

Got hands on a couple of 9mm at a sporting goods store the other day. I like the 9 for size, but several of them didn't feel right in my hands. Some of the more compact models made me feel like it might jump out of my hands while shooting...

I have never shot a 9mm, but I hear ya on those sub compact guns. I have a couple Glocks chambered in 40 S&W. One is a full sized G35 and the other is my concealed carry G23. The G23 is easy to hold and doesn't feel like it will flip out of your hands while shooting. It is easy to conceal also. I use an inside the waste band holster (supertuck deluxe) from crossbreed and never have much of an issue with printing.

As far as the cost of ammo, not counting steel cases, it looks like the 9mm goes for around $0.20 per round, the 380 ACP for $0.22, and the 40 is about $0.25. All of those prices are for plinking/practice type rounds. So unless you shoot a lot, the 40 will only cost a little more than the 9. I threw the 380 in there because I have been pondering picking one of those up. :)

If you have reloading equipment, you can do what I have done, and buy lead cast bullets, a lighter recoil spring, and a different barrel (if needed) and load some light loads with the cast bullets. You want to reduce the projectile speed since they are not jacketed bullets. I did that with my G35 and it made for some cheap and fun plinking ammo.

I haven't tried a 4 inch 9mm yet that feels comfortable in my hands. Glock 19, S&W M&P, Springfield's XD etc just don't feel right. Probably because nothing can compare to my 1911. But 40 oz of stainless 45 ACP ain't for carry.

I haven't tried a 4 inch 9mm yet that feels comfortable in my hands. Glock 19, S&W M&P, Springfield's XD etc just don't feel right. Probably because nothing can compare to my 1911. But 40 oz of stainless 45 ACP ain't for carry.

If something a bit heavier might fill the bill, you might look at a Sig Sauer P226 or P229. I have a P229, terrific handgun. I also have a Glock 19 and a Springfield Armory XD, both in 9mm, so I know how the Sig feels compared to the others. I think the Sig might remind you more of the 1911.

I have a couple 1911s, one a Ruger SR1911 in the Commander style. It's 3/4" shorter than the standard, and I bought it so that I might, if I so desired, carry it, perhaps concealed. It's 3 or 4 ounces lighter than standard, not a lot, but some.

I have some in a family members safe.
Auto-Ordnance 45
Marlin .22
FN 5.7

I only target shoot, and have not even done that for a few years now, they just sit in his safe.

I have kids and never taught them about guns, and they have never been around them, so probably not going to bring them home until they are 18 or move out (and/or get their FOID)
(had the 45 and the 22 for 24 years, the FN for 11) but will probably sell the FN since it's easier to find ammo for the 45

Shooter/reloader/hunter here. Wife is a shooter as well.

Our last range session. First run with the Aim Point on my AR.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1481769362.342142.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1481769445.175888.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1481769482.084729.jpg

The deer slayer. Remington 700 .308 SPS
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1481769582.505829.jpg

Have a muzzleloader,.243 given to me by my grandfather (I've shot quite a few deer with and my sons will too) and 4-5 shotguns in the safe as well. Also a bow I love to shoot but have yet to have the opportunity to hunt more than rabbits and turkeys with.

Can someone suggest a modestly priced shotgun for home defense? Preferably US made. I have an old 1930's era side by side bird gun, but I'm not sure what gauge shells it takes (until I take it to the gunsmith).

Can someone suggest a modestly priced shotgun for home defense? Preferably US made. I have an old 1930's era side by side bird gun, but I'm not sure what gauge shells it takes (until I take it to the gunsmith).
Mosburg 500

I just picked up a rock island arms 1911 commander. 3.5" barrel, and feels better than my XD and conceals better.

Haha yea, you never know how people feel about guns. I didn't have it with me at your place lol
I understand, but bad form. I'll let it slide this time. ;)
If you have a CCW permit it should be on you at all times. Mine was on my hip in a Crossbreed holster the whole time.

Jody had to qualify 4 times a year prior to retiring. She can out shoot me.

Carried a Kimber Ultra Carry when I could - which wasn't often due to difficulty concealing.

Picked up a S&W Shield in 9mm and I swear, sometimes I forget I'm wearing it. Easy to conceal, shoots well and will get the job done if needed.

You are correct, very different from a 1911, but not too difficult to get used to given sufficient range time.

I'm getting the itch again - I've got a few things stashed away, my main shooter is a SA 1911, but I've been looking at XD Mod2's this week because I need another 9mm to keep in the house.

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are going to be your two most common answers to this question. I too suggest both, however, on the even cheaper side, check out the H&R Pardner as well as the Rockriver Armory. They're both exactly the same as the 500 or 870, accessories are mostly interchangeable, but they're cheaper, and made cheaper as well. (I'm not knocking them.)

Edit:
I don't suggest a shotgun as a home defense weapon. Buckshot and the like will penetrate walls, and possible injure the people you're trying to protect. Yes, handguns and rifles will as well, but it's one round instead of multiple. Just my additional .02

Last edited:
Only thing to ever slow down my gun obsession was brewing. I am a recovering gun whore. I still hunt, but not as much as I did. Older age and brewing again have slowed me down. Most all of mine are for hunting or target. A few defense pistols and very few collectibles. I primarily hunt predators, whitetail deer, turkeys, groundhogs. I did shoot some informal steel rifle matches, but it got too expensive and time consuming to continue.

My RRA A4 Varmint 223rem. Have swapped the rings out for Nightforce highs since the photo. As you can see, some add ons have been done.
IMG_17741_zps1cbe9380.jpg

A blizzard red fox. One of two that day called into range of the Remington model 7 in 17rem.
IMG_10501_zpsd7bfcad7.jpg

Ruger MKII slabside and a few limb chickens.
98E11FBB-5CA6-4B06-8CEA-A4FA4B5C6EEA-11788-00000F86C005A8B2.jpg

One of a few spring gobblers that have gone to the freezer. This one fell to the Baikal IZH-94 O/U at about 10yds while on video :D.
PICT0028.jpg

One to the Mossberg 835. 19.5lbs
IMG_20791_zpsfyvhz8e7.jpg

Customized Remington 243win on a R700SPS action. Everything has either been redone or replaced. This is my gopher getter and steel ringer. I've run it out to 900yds on a 16" plate with 87gr. V-max bullets and have several groundhogs killed beyond 500yds with it including one at 585yds.
88052A9A-A77C-4749-B8E0-B40267BD9122-4744-0000092DD139A033.jpg

Ruger Redhawk 41 mag. Shot a wild boar with this one.
PICT0307.jpg

Took this public land 9pt with my muzzleloader that I duracoated. It is a T/C Omega 50cal thumbhole in French army camo pattern. One of many it has put in the freezer.
PICT0074.jpg

A coyote called in and taken with T/C Contender in 223rem. Was a big coyote for around here.
Copyofyotegun.jpg

Have another rifle I'm trying to get up and running for groundhogs and predators. It is a partly home built AR in 17rem with a Shilen select match barrel and collapsable stock. I am in the load development stages now and it is looking pretty good ;).
IMG_4491_zpsugx81of4.jpg

Looked at those, but they seem a little more hunting oriented, and a bit out of my price range.

If the Mossberg 500 or 590 is out of your price range and not the right fit, maybe an older Ithica Model 37 might do. New ones are priced in the same range as the Mossberg models, but finding an older Ithica would be the trick, especially if you live in NY.

If the Mossberg 500 or 590 is out of your price range and not the right fit, maybe an older Ithica Model 37 might do. New ones are priced in the same range as the Mossberg models, but finding an older Ithica would be the trick, especially if you live in NY.

What about something like a Mossberg 88 cruiser?

It's similar to the 500, and there's a used one for sale locally for $249.

Maverick 88 comes in three different models, the All Purpose, the Security, and the Slug gun.
The All Purpose comes in 12 and 20 gauge. The Security has two versions in 12 gauge that give you six or eight shot capacity. The guns retail on Mossberg website for about $293.
The only real difference between the 500 and 88 is the location of the safety switch. The 88 safety is near the trigger guard.
I'd say $250 was great price if the shot gun was in good shape.

Me, I like things with warranties ... and semi capability ... and combat toughness. But if you can find the ammo and afford the gun, go for it. It's hard to put a price on peace of mind and security.

I'm going to throw out a different idea for home defense. I have an 870 with the shorter barrel, and if I didn't have anything else, I'd be OK with it.

The problem w/ long guns for home defense is that if someone gets in the house, and you miss the first shot, they can be inside your radius and now there you are with a metal club the bad guy has ahold of.

Now, this is just me--and I do defensive pistol training which others may not have as an option--but given a choice I'd much rather have a .45 pistol for home defense than a 4-shot shotgun.

I could either use my 13+1 XD-45, or my 7+1 1911, and not only would I have more rounds available, I can hold the pistol in one hand and fend off a bad guy with the other.

If you don't have a pistol, or can't get good practice or training with it, or are lousy with it, then a shotgun may well be a much better option. And a shotgun is surely better than nothing, far better.

But if I hear noises in the house and want to investigate, I'm grabbing a .45, not a shotgun.

Have at--I'm sure there are differences of opinion on this.

Back