Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Aging mead

Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
AsianMead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Aging mead

Hi All, I'm a new meadmaker and this is my first time making mead.
I really confuse about "aging" process now I have one batch of Blackberry Melomel in the secondary fermentation and it's almost 1 month in the secondary. It's a bit clear and I think it will be more clear by the next rack.
So I wonder if I rack it to the third jug and I plan to leave it like that more than 3 months maybe longer in the room temperature (28-32 C.), can we call that aging? That's the thing I really want to know.

*It's 5 litre batch size and taste quite good after racked from primary.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Generally, I count aging when it's clear and after you rack it to another container and end up with no sediment after a week or so. Then is when I count for bulk aging. Usually, I am shy on carboy space for new batches so I end up waiting a month with no sediment and then bottling. Then let age in the bottle for 6-8 months, some for a full year. I typically wont open up a single bottle unless it has had at least 8 months aging time. At that time, I consider the mead still "Green" and barely drinkable.

If your bulk aging, I would simply rack over and then check it in a month. If no sediment or a very little dusting, then consider that the start of aging. There is no perfect recipie for aging, each Mead needs it's own time. Be patient. Or in my case since I bottle age, Lazy. You see, I bottle it and date it and mark what it is, then forget about it as I move on to new projects. Keeping a Brew Log is also what I do, so I can check on it later.

Oh, don't get me wrong I do anticipate good brew but it is important to just let it age. Mead gets better with age. I have never had a Mead take less than 6 months to age. That one was a heavy citrus one and even that benifited by longer aging.

Matrix (Complex yet simple)
Devon Likes This 
Old 09-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
AsianMead
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks Matrix!!
So I will rack it for sure to another demijohn I prepare soon and see how much sediment left behind.

Cheers!!!