2nd Batch, first partial mash tested last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieB428

Reaction score
It had only been about 2 1/2 weeks from bottling the brown ale I made back in July. I popped a couple in the fridge the other night and tested them last night. I wasn't expecting much from them as the samples I tested at dry hop time and bottling seemed extremely watery. They turned out much better than I thought they would. They may be a little over carbed as it poured with a very thick head. Taste was good but I'm not a huge brown ale fan (I had made it for my wife to try since she doesn't like pale ales and she didn't care for this one either). The only problem I find with it is that the last inch or so of beer in the glass is rather bitter. It's like the taste changed while sitting in the glass. Can't wait to bottle up my third brew on Friday...that's the one I'm really looking forward to in a month.

Did you keg/force carb, then bottle or just bottle condition? Depending on sediment in the bottle, that might explain the 'bitterness.' I assume you're not drinking straight out of the bottle.

Generally, taste will change with age --especially in higher gravity beers.

This was just bottle conditioned and it's a lot clearer than my first brew. I poured carefully so none of the nasty stuff made it to the glass. This isn't a high gravity beer, the OG was around 1.050.

Back