Why Do i not like Hefeweizen? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Why Do i not like Hefeweizen?

Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Addison,TX
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I love American wheats, but have yet to find a German Wheat that I like. I went to the store tonight and got another one that i have not tried, once again i just didn't like the flavor. I think i have tried just about everyone out their. My dad thinks im crazy. I have had the shiner dunklweizen and liked that, but not sure if thats modeled after a German beer. What is it about the German wheats that is so different? Is it just the yeast that gives it that different flavor?

Old 04-05-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Yes, it is the yeast, but it's also the fermenting temp and the use of lager yeast at bottling.

What is it that you don't like about the German HWs? Any idea or just a general comment?

Old 04-05-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Addison,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Yes, it is the yeast, but it's also the fermenting temp and the use of lager yeast at bottling.

What is it that you don't like about the German HWs? Any idea or just a general comment?
Not sure, I really cant pick it out. It really is just the whole flavor in the beer, kind of the fruitiness, but yet i like Belgian wit's. I can honestly say German HW is the only beer i won't drink. I mean I love anything from stouts to very light sumer beers. I just think its kind of odd. And i get **** from my dad all the time when he offers me one.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
XELA
Recipes 

Sep 2006
UK

maybe you jus dont like germans.. tut

im jokin, but if you can tell the difference between different yeasts used.. thats quite an achievement IMO

Old 04-05-2007, 04:26 AM   #5
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Addison,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XELA
maybe you jus dont like germans.. tut
That would be bad.
<< great grandparents where German immigrants.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

There is a big difference between American and German Style hefe's. The Americans styles lack alot of the yeast flavors that the Germans have. Personally I like them both, but can see where the flavors of the German style might not appeal to everyone.

I haven't had alot of German Style hefe's but the best I've had is actually made by Gordon Biersch. Had some Erdingers from Germany but IMO it is a bit over carbonated and not as flavorful as the GB.

As far as American style Widmer is OK. Pyramid is a little bland IMO.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 AM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
There is a big difference between American and German Style hefe's. The Americans styles lack alot of the yeast flavors that the Germans have. Personally I like them both, but can see where the flavors of the German style might not appeal to everyone.

I haven't had alot of German Style hefe's but the best I've had is actually made by Gordon Biersch. Had some Erdingers from Germany but IMO it is a bit over carbonated and not as flavorful as the GB.

As far as American style Widmer is OK. Pyramid is a little bland IMO.
Agreed on most counts.

GB's hefe probably varies slightly from location to location and batch to batch, and the last one I had wasn't anything to rave about. Erdinger is pretty tasty if you can find it on tap. The best hefe I've had recently is Paulaner - very pronounced banana/clove notes, quite smooth on the palate.

Completely agree on the American wheat opinions. Pyramid is particularly disappointing.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:05 AM   #8
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Addison,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Agreed on most counts.
The best hefe I've had recently is Paulaner - very pronounced banana/clove notes, quite smooth on the palate.

Completely agree on the American wheat opinions. Pyramid is particularly disappointing.

That is what my dad drinks. The only American wheats I like are the micro brewed ones, the brewery i used to work at had an awesome one. Sunshine is alright, its great with a steak.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:17 AM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

Sunshine...ick. That one tastes like carbonated Wheaties to me.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 AM   #10
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

I'm actually the complete opposite, I'll take a German Wheat beer anytime of the day, but not really fond of the American Wheats.