Temp. control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Johnson analog temp controller to keep better fermentation control (and to do lagers of course!). However, I only have room in my fridge for one carboy at a time. I brewed last weekend so I have a carboy in the fridge right now. My question is, is it ok to move it out at this point to make room for the carboy I plan on brewing today? The ambient temp in my basement is about 70F or so, and primary fermentation is complete. I'm just concerned that it stil might be too hot to keep the carboy.

Yup fine. In fact, the temp bump will encourage the yeast to do some final housecleaning.

Second this. There's a lot of talk on here about fermentation temp control and how important it is to maintain throughout the duration of fermentation. The vast majority of flavor compounds from fermentation are produced in the first 96 hours (depending on a lot of factors, of course), so after a week moving the beer to higher temps is fine.

Back