Fruit Beer Peach Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgourd

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs WLP300
Yeast Starter
2750mL, ferment, crash cool, decant, pitch
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
42 days @70F
Additional Fermentation
7 days @32F
Tasting Notes
Initial aroma is bananas and peach. The first sip is cloves, bananas and peaches.
We're famous for our peaches where I live, so I decided to make a peach wheat. Many people say that using peaches doesn't give a pronounced flavor in the beer (and so they use apricots, for example). I wanted to use peaches so I did (it just took a while to get the flavors and aromas I wanted).

The recipe:

Code:
Peach Wheat
-----------
Batch Size: 6.50 gal (9.98 gal preboil)
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated FG: 1.013 SG
Estimated IBUs: 14 (Tinseth)
Estimated Color: 4 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73%
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains:
6.25# Pale Malt (2-Row) US (2.0L) (49.02%)
5.00# American wheat (2.0L) (39.22%)
1.00# Carapils/Dextrine (2.0L) (7.84%)
0.50# Rice hulls (0.0L) (3.92%)

Hops:
1.25 oz Tettnanger (US) (3.9%) @60 min
1.35 oz Tettnanger (US) (3.9%) @2 min

Yeast:
White Labs WLP300 (Hefeweizen Ale)

Mash/Sparge Schedule:
Single Infusion, 152F; Batch Sparge

Fermentation Schedule:
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @66F
Secondary Fermentation: 42 days @70F (on peaches)
Additional Fermentation: 7 days @32F (crash cool)

I fermented without peaches for 14 days. I then took the skin off of 9 lbs. of peaches I got from our local farmer's market, removed the pits and cut them into quarters. All the peaches were added straight to the primary, I carefully mixed them around and left them there for a month and a half. I basically checked the beer every two weeks until I was satisfied with the "peachiness." I then carefully racked (there was some "mold" on top of the peaches) to a secondary and crash cooled for a week. I kegged with gelatin and carbonated to 2.5 volumes. It cleared pretty quickly and tastes great!

I have gotten great reviews from the locals. You get bananas and slight peach on the nose. The first sip is cloves and bananas. The peach comes through pretty quickly as a peach flavor and some tartness. Very thirst quenching. Subsequent sips are mostly peach with a little bananas and cloves.

A recent pic:

peach_wheat.jpg

Im thinking about doing peaches im doing a well im not shure a hefeweizen with t-58 and the thought crossed my mind of doing peaches because i tried a peach wheat and liked it so i figure peach will go with a belgiany type yeast also. Nice pic you can actually see some peach color,nice color.
I dont have any noble hops so im wondering how nugget or some of the other high alpha hops will do.Im going to use some pilsner too i think along with a tad bit of other crystal type malts that is if i cant find fresh peaches.

Belgian yeast should do well. I don't see a problem with Nugget since this is not a hop forward brew nor is it particularly bitter. Pilsner malt will get you some nice grainy notes, but I'd make sure to do a 90 min boil with that to ward off DMS. If I had to do something differently next time, I might use more peaches (I know!) and let them sit for two months. I'd also reduce the bitterness (to maybe 10 IBUs) because the peaches impart a similar characteristic after a while.

A recent pic: [/QUOTE said:
Pic looks great, very clear. Did you use irish moss or is this clarity strictly due to cold crashing?

Also i am thinking about making some fruit hefes and was wondering if i could just add peach syrup, not as altruistic I know, but it should speed things up. Do you know how much syrup i should use for a 5 gal batch and when i would add it? Thanks!

Clarity was mostly from cold crashing for a week after racking off of the peaches. But I did add gelatin to the keg. I typically use 4 oz of syrup for a 5 gal batch. But I never did this with peach syrup just with raspberry once.

Is there any dry yeast that you would recommend for this beer? I haven't made the jump to liquid yeast yet and don't have the necessary equipment just yet. Thanks.

Back