Dont brew drunk!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i couldn't get my wort to cool down past 118 and like an idiot poured it into my fermentation bucket thinking i could pour cool water over it to cool it down. I aerated it soo bad!!!!! pitched the yeast at 80 degrees and stuck it in my fermenter. Whatever!:drunk:

Im confused. Your supposed to aerated your wort before you pitch the yeast. If anything you water it down a bit. Yeast wont die at 80 so it should be fine.

I do semi stupid things when brewing while getting drunk. Last time I forgot to take an OG reading. I took one the next morning before fermentation started (I think). The time before that I was brewing a Chocolate RIS partial and forgot to add the DME and chocolate before flameout. I added it after the boil while the wort was still hot. I have that aging on vanilla right now.

One time when brewing while especially lit, I poured my wort into the fermentor and was totally dumbfounded when I saw that I had about 6.5 gallons in the carboy (should've only been 5)...then after I pitched and thought about it for a while, I realized I never poured out the 1.5 gallons of sanitation solution that was in the carboy. After much debate in a thread here, I ended up dumping the batch...I've never gotten drunk while brewing since.

Im just worried because I splashed around my hot wort a lot. I mean i poured it from my pot to my fermenter at about 120 degrees. Then added cool water but i really did mix up tons of bubbles.

I don't think that sounds nearly as bad as you seem to think. Some people really shake the s*** out of their wort before pitching...and you said you took the temp before pitching and it was around 80, right? Not ideal, but I bet it's fine...

I ALWays wait till im done, i preferr coffee and stress.I celebrate my toils when i can relax completly.

Your ok man, probably once you threw your cold water on top of the almost cooled water it should be fine.This is the part where the acronyms come in about dont be worrying young child relax and drink the hombrews.Let it make beer have peace with your inner self and booby bla bla.
Bubbles is good with cooled wort, good job drink a beer sit on it let it make beer drink it in a few months but try a few in the mean time.

A few batches back I was so drunk I didn't recall anything after the boil. I woke up the next morning freaking the f*ck out thinking that my beer and equipment was still on my patio and everything is ruined and a mess. Low and behold if the house wasn't spotless and my equipment wasn't clean and put away. What is scary is that my beer was fermenting and in my fermentation chamber and properly set, when I don't even remember pitching the yeast. I brew alone!!!! Talk about black out brewing... HAHAH

jvcjbl said:
A few batches back I was so drunk I didn't recall anything after the boil. I woke up the next morning freaking the f*ck out thinking that my beer and equipment was still on my patio and everything is ruined and a mess. Low and behold if the house wasn't spotless and my equipment wasn't clean and put away. What is scary is that my beer was fermenting and in my fermentation chamber and properly set, when I don't even remember pitching the yeast. I brew alone!!!! Talk about black out brewing... HAHAH

I've been there. Walk into a spotless garage in the morning and don't remember cleaning up. Somehow, I do a better job of clean up when I don't remember it. I am going to make an attempt to not do that anymore.

Im only 2 brews in but im quickly realizing not to brew and drink. Ill be celebrating a brew day gone well with some beers when im done from now on. Going to just brew early and drink coffee

Im just worried because I splashed around my hot wort a lot. I mean i poured it from my pot to my fermenter at about 120 degrees. Then added cool water but i really did mix up tons of bubbles.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's usually what you're supposed to do. Yeasties need oxygen when they start the party, hence why some people use oxygen stones...I just shake the hell out of the primary. Had you oxygenated it after fermentation was done, then yes, that would be a bad thing.

Live, drink, learn & drink more.

Isn't there a such thing as hot side airation?(which is bad) Or does this only occur around boiling temps?
...also had to many one brew day and the pot slipped out of my hand... About 2 gallons made it in the fermentor the rest on the kitchen floor. It's still sticky this was about a year ago lol

Your beer should be fine. I really believe that hot side aeration more a myth than a fact ,take a look at no chill brewing, and also look at this video, while it is the start of a lambic, not a normal brew they don't seem to care about aeration [ame="http://youtu.be/wD_49kfVJeE"]http://youtu.be/wD_49kfVJeE[/ame]. While it is not good to get absolutely bombed while brewing, I have done it a couple of times with no beer ruined. It really is best to RDWHAHB unless you have had a few too many already;)

50+ batches in and this describes my best ones by far. I made 6 booty calls as we were finishing up my last amazing saison. It was 4:30am. Nobody answered. Got laid for the rest of the weekend as a result. :rockin:

I never drink when I brew. It seems like that makes me a minority, but whatever. At least I only have myself to blame for making mistakes.

Well i couldn't get my wort to cool down past 118 and like an idiot poured it into my fermentation bucket thinking i could pour cool water over it to cool it down. I aerated it soo bad!!!!! pitched the yeast at 80 degrees and stuck it in my fermenter. Whatever!:drunk:

I wish my drunken stuper's were as simple as this.

Maybe I did Panic a little last nigh haha. I just always thought you shouldn't introduce air to your wort till its cooled down. It was still around 120. Its a double chocolate stout with s-05 yeast maybe its forgiving.

Looks like you had a visit from the magic yeast fairies. They come along and take care of everything after you're plastered! :D

Since I always have BMs Centennial Blonde on tap, it's what I have in moderation during brew day. The 4% ABV and a partner keeps me from making too many mistakes. Brew day should be fun, I stay sober for work.

I never drink when I brew. It seems like that makes me a minority, but whatever. At least I only have myself to blame for making mistakes.

I totally agree. I used to, but not any more.

Last time my father and I brewed drunk I broke the hydrometer. I don't know how I did it. All I did was take it out of the tube and some how I caught the very top tip on the lid when I was putting the lid back on the tube and snapped the tip off. DOH.

Yeah, I've learned not too have too many brews on brew day. I cut myself off at 2 now. You start to make dumb mistakes. And moving a 6.5 gallon glass carboy down a flight of stairs while tipsy? Oh, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

kbuzz said:
One time when brewing while especially lit, I poured my wort into the fermentor and was totally dumbfounded when I saw that I had about 6.5 gallons in the carboy (should've only been 5)...then after I pitched and thought about it for a while, I realized I never poured out the 1.5 gallons of sanitation solution that was in the carboy. After much debate in a thread here, I ended up dumping the batch...I've never gotten drunk while brewing since.

Betcha that beer would have had one clean finish ;)

Define "drunk". Falling down 'I don't know how I got here' drunk or 'after a few great homebrews and despite a boilover, 6 hrs of brewing and I can't find my yeast' drunk?

Either way, I'm usually more cautious than that, only lost a batch once....and wasn't drunk. :tank:

Back