Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Motueka Hops. Anyone used them?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 642 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 258

Default Motueka Hops. Anyone used them?

I was in my LHBS the other day and he just got in a big shipment of hops. Lots of varieties that he never had before.

I smelled a couple of varieties that he suggested and they smelled great, so I picked up a couple of ounces of Motueka. I plan on doing a pale ale using Centenial, Amarillo and Motueka. Should be interesting.

Anyone used them? What do you think of them?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
martinworswick
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

a new zealand variety,similar to saaz,according to this-
http://www.nzhops.co.nz/varieties/motueka.html

Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf
I was in my LHBS the other day and he just got in a big shipment of hops. Lots of varieties that he never had before.

I smelled a couple of varieties that he suggested and they smelled great, so I picked up a couple of ounces of Motueka. I plan on doing a pale ale using Centenial, Amarillo and Motueka. Should be interesting.

Anyone used them? What do you think of them?
Bump!

I bought a 4 oz pack recently. Really liked the dry hop I did with it in a Belgian tripel ipa that used Amarillo.

I paired it with Nelson sauvin after loving the dry hop using 0.75oz additions of both at FWH, 15 and 1'. This is in primary right now and tastes glorious!

Did you ever use motueka alone?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick View Post
Bump!

I bought a 4 oz pack recently. Really liked the dry hop I did with it in a Belgian tripel ipa that used Amarillo.

I paired it with Nelson sauvin after loving the dry hop using 0.75oz additions of both at FWH, 15 and 1'. This is in primary right now and tastes glorious!

Did you ever use motueka alone?
Motueka & NS are popular with the crowd on the cooper's forums down under. Like to try that with Czech Saaz in my APA next time. Or maybe with Perle.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
heywatchthis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Had a distinct lemon/lime thing going on in a SMaSH that I did with it. Not great by itself, but would work with a lot of other hops.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywatchthis
Had a distinct lemon/lime thing going on in a SMaSH that I did with it. Not great by itself, but would work with a lot of other hops.
+1. Lemon-lime citrus definitely. I would say motueka is like a third cousin of saaz, there is some spice but I get more citrus; and NOT GRAPEFRUIT CITRUS. God I'm sick of grapefruit citrus.
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 642 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 258

It is interesting to see this thread brought back to life, since I was the OP.

I brewed a simple IPA using Centenial, Amarillo and Moteuka. Very nice combo. Citrusy but not grapefruit. I would use them again.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf
It is interesting to see this thread brought back to life, since I was the OP.

I brewed a simple IPA using Centenial, Amarillo and Moteuka. Very nice combo. Citrusy but not grapefruit. I would use them again.
How about citra? I have no experience with it and want to avoid grapefruit. Is it grapefruity? I'm really happy to have feedback so quickly. There isn't much info on this board about motueka.

I was thinking about bittering/FWH with chinook, followed by motueka and citra/amarillo..weird? with Denny's 1450.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
BeerLogic
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have a Belgian blond on tap right now that is hopped exclusively with motueka. It does have a bit of lemon citrus to it, but I would say it's rather more exotic than that - notes of hibiscus and passion fruit. I've also used it in a saison where the citrus and spice plays beautifully with the peppery earthiness of the yeast. I really like these hops.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Starderup
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This is the second time I have heard of this hop. There was a black rice beer with motueka hops entered in the 23A (Specialty Beer) category of the Music City brew off. It was very unusual color, sort of a lavender and the head was PINK ( I think because of the black rice)! Unfortunately, I only got to taste the very last cloudy bit of it. It made it to the mini BOS, but didn't advance. It wasn't bad, even though my sample was definitely full of yeast.