Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Specific gravity after brewing and after priming.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
adamant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Specific gravity after brewing and after priming.

Was wondering if anyone knew what the difference in specific gravity is before and after priming to get the proper carbonation level? I am planning on priming some cider with apple juice so I want to know what to aim for.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

What you propose sounds like carbonating with speisse. In any case, this is probably what you're looking for:
http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index...or_Carbonation

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 08-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

If you are wondering how much the SG changes from finished beer versus after adding the priming sugar - the change is hardly measurable in my experience. I added 2.2 ounces to prime 4.5 gallons last night and my 1.016 was reading 1.016 after priming. I ended up measuring the SG with the dregs in the bucket for the hell of it. It's such a small amount of fermentable.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
adamant
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I'll just keep trying them until I hit the carb I want then pasteurize them. I wouldn't mind some extra sweetness.

Hopefully I won't blow any up this time :/

Old 08-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

What you are doing is over my head. Best of luck!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Adament, we're not quite grasping what you're asking. When I read your thread I thought like jimthehick thought, and were asking how much gravity changes when you add the 4.5-5 oz of priming sugar. Which is insignificant...like .0003% to the abv iirc.

We're just not quite sure what you are asking or looking to do. Maybe if you're a little clearer we can help you.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 AM   #7
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2716 Times on 2101 Posts
Likes Given: 372

5.5 ounces of dextrose in 5 gallons adds about 2 gravity points (both by the math and my experience) which has an alcohol potential of approximately 0.25%

Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
adamant
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Adament, we're not quite grasping what you're asking. When I read your thread I thought like jimthehick thought, and were asking how much gravity changes when you add the 4.5-5 oz of priming sugar. Which is insignificant...like .0003% to the abv iirc.

We're just not quite sure what you are asking or looking to do. Maybe if you're a little clearer we can help you.
That is what I was asking.

Thanks guys, I guess since the SG doesn't change much that wouldn't be the best measure to go by.

Like I said, I am planning on adding some juice then pasteurizing it to prevent over carb and keep a little sweetness.

I guess I was hoping for a simple guideline to go by. Maybe I will try to wrap my head around the first link posted.

Thanks for the responses.