Double IPA Water Chem Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldyote

Reaction score
I've used the Brewer Friend Water Chemistry Calculator for many of my beers.

I'm trying to get to a good profile for a big IPA and am having trouble coming up with anything that doesn't put in the "danger do not drink this is poison" column.

My profile is

Ca 14, Mg 3, SO4 9, Na 8, Cl 2.5, Alkalinity 46

Any suggestions for how to adjust this to a good double IPA profile would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest on the order of 1.9 g/gal gypsum with 0.4 g/gal CaCl2 would get you in the ballpark. You might have to add a teeny bit of pickling lime if the pH drops too low. This was all calculated via Bru'n Water.

I'd suggest 2g gypsum and 0.2g CaCl2 per gallon which according to EZ water calculator 3.0 should give you about 150 ppm Ca, 300 ppm SO4, and 30 ppm Cl which just happens to coincide with Terry Foster's (Pale Ale) recommendations for an American IPA with an OG of 1.070.
I've been following his recommendations for Ca, SO4, and Cl for several years, and have found them to be very good.

-a.

Back