Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Adventures on the Island of Misfit Yeast

Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
nate_ive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Adventures on the Island of Misfit Yeast

Lately I have been using yeast that draws negative comments brewing boards to brew with and I have been very impressed with them.

I brewed the Murphy's Stout clone recipe from BYO and used Windsor yeast -- it has great flavor and my girl really digs it -- no it is not like Murphy's, though.

On Saturday I bottled a sweet orange peel wheat that I brewed with Safbrew S-33(fermented at 72F). This yeast was of particular interest to me since most of these boards indicate it is British(EDME) while the manufacture says it can be used in Belgian styles. It has mostly carbonated up and it has a great pineapple/mango finish in addition to the orange. I don't know what profile EDME produces, but is pineapple/mango considered to be British?

My 3rd misfit yeast is Munton's Active Brewing Yeast(the cheap green and yellow packet) working on Northern Brewer's The Innkeeper recipe. The airlock just stopped and I will probably bottle it this weekend. I'm hoping to go 3 of 3 with the misfits!!!

What are the other unloved yeasts out there?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
shanecb
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I always thought people liked the Windsor yeast, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
douglasbarbin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecb View Post
I always thought people liked the Windsor yeast, but maybe I'm wrong.
Most people like the flavor profile, but don't like the low attenuation. If you use Windsor, you generally will finish with a higher gravity than you would with other yeasts.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
shanecb
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasbarbin View Post
Most people like the flavor profile, but don't like the low attenuation. If you use Windsor, you generally will finish with a higher gravity than you would with other yeasts.
Ah ok. I haven't looked much into the yeast personally. Sounds like it would be decent for a session beer, though.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
sagnew440
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like windsor alot, I always mash low with it so it attenuates though.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In reference to your original topic of taking flak for breaking from what is typical for a style, I say go for it! Is this not the purpose of homebrew, brew what you like how you like it! And number 2 reason is small batch if it sucks your not dumping 10000 gallons down the drain. How are new styles made if it is not for maverick brewers trying something new. Long live the King of Misfit Yeast Island!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasbarbin View Post
That and it takes a trillion years to floc out.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I bottled the Northern Brewer's Innkeeper made with Munton Active Brewing Yeast yesterday. It hit a FG of 1.015. It tasted pretty good for 7 days old. I cold crashed it to 40F and it is very clear. I will update on the taste once it carbonated.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Odd, I haven't had a problem with Windsor dropping out of suspension. It doesn't seem to form a compact sediment on the bottom of the bottle though, so moving bottles can stir it up.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:58 AM   #10
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The muntons active brewing yeast bitter tastes pretty good to me. It has good clarity and a some British fruitiness to it. I pitched at 75F and cooled it down to 65F for fermentation. My apartment's cold water isn't that cold in the summertime.