DIY Oast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_B_Mongo

Reaction score
So I just finished my first harvest of my hops. Cascade and Centennial. Forgive me if this has been done already, but just wanted to share an idea I came up with today.

I didn't feel like taking off all the widow screens to dry my hops. So what I did was grab a few milk crates from the brewing area (always handy for carboys & bottles), line them with some window screening that I had laying around. Put each variety in a separate milk crate. Then I took another crate, put a desk fan in it, and put a small piece of scrap plywood on the top of the stack.

I figure I'll leave the "oast" in the garage for a couple days (they're calling for 95* weather the next couple days.

Anybody see any problems with this method of drying?

I just dried my oz of cascades on a baking sheet covered with a paper towel in my 97 degree laundry room for a day and a half.

Very dry.

I saw the weather report for your area this morning, they should dry out in no-time, just leaving them out in this heat.

Just wanted to report back. Got home from the firehouse this morning and the hops are all dried. Took about a day and a half. Definitely helped that it was 95* the last couple days.

Latest posts

Back