Ginger Ale - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
SodaMeUp
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
None, California
Posts: 1


I am working on a recipe that involves honey and this is my recipe

1 Cup honey
freshly grated ginger root (1 1/2-2 tablespoons)
juice of one lemon 1/4 tablespoon (Red star Champagne/Beer Yeast)
2 liters of water

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Raudhbjorn
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 39
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


My recipe:

5 Qts Water
4 lbs (about 3 cups) honey
1/2 lb shredded/grated ginger
5 oz Key Lime juice
2 cups Pineapple juice
1.5 tsp Vanilla

I usually make 6 gallon batches rather than the 1.5 gallon I listed here. I use Ginger Beer Plant rather than yeast to carbonate.
__________________
Gentlemen prefer blondes, real men prefer stouts.

Horn & Mug

Primary: Mooseberry Porter, JOAM, Hobo Cider, County USA Irish Red

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
berebrando
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Orange, CA
Posts: 225
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts


Can you inform on ginger beer plant?

Do you bottle in glass or plastic?
__________________
www.thegoodbeerco.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Roach
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Fort Collins, Co
Posts: 44
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaMeUp View Post
I am working on a recipe that involves honey and this is my recipe

1 Cup honey
freshly grated ginger root (1 1/2-2 tablespoons)
juice of one lemon 1/4 tablespoon (Red star Champagne/Beer Yeast)
2 liters of water
I would say you should use more ginger, and you should also use more citrus of your choice. The ginger will counteract the citrus flavor. If you want more bite add peppercorns or a small portion of spicy pepper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudhbjorn View Post
My recipe:

5 Qts Water
4 lbs (about 3 cups) honey
1/2 lb shredded/grated ginger
5 oz Key Lime juice
2 cups Pineapple juice
1.5 tsp Vanilla

I usually make 6 gallon batches rather than the 1.5 gallon I listed here. I use Ginger Beer Plant rather than yeast to carbonate.
This sounds neat, though I'm not sure about the use of vanilla in ginger ale, I usually like it crisp instead of creamy. I'll have to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berebrando View Post
Can you inform on ginger beer plant?

Do you bottle in glass or plastic?
Ginger beer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just think of it as a specialized yeast.

I much prefer glass, in my mind it just tastes better, for no real reason. Of course if you do go this route, put glass bottles in a large thick plastic container to contain explosions.

But you should start with plastic. PET bottles easily hold up to 200psi, so you're much better off with when it comes to popping bottles. You can also squeeze them to tell when they've been pressurized to the appropriate level. Most people warn against using these bottles more than 10 or so times, and it's probably wise; That said, i've still got 2L PET bottles from when I started making soda that I still use.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Raudhbjorn
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 39
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
This sounds neat, though I'm not sure about the use of vanilla in ginger ale, I usually like it crisp instead of creamy. I'll have to try it.
It's not really creamy, the vanilla just sort of provides a canvas for the lime and pineapple to play off of, which provide a citrusy counter-point for the Ginger and honey. Over all you get a complex and shockingly sharp flavor.
__________________
Gentlemen prefer blondes, real men prefer stouts.

Horn & Mug

Primary: Mooseberry Porter, JOAM, Hobo Cider, County USA Irish Red

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
mease19
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Medford, MA
Posts: 62
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


I use vanilla extract in my ginger beer (about 1/8 tsp/2L) and it really brings out the other flavors. I also add raisins, which add some real complexity to the flavor.

Pineapple juice has me intrigued!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ginger Beer using Crystallized ginger? merk_the_hermit Soda Making 14 06-09-2014 03:04 PM
Ginger ale: do I need to peel the ginger? BeerRunner Soda Making 15 05-21-2012 07:47 PM
ginger ale help ob111 Soda Making 12 04-29-2010 02:42 PM
Ginger Ale The Blow Leprechaun Soda Making 3 08-23-2008 02:22 PM
Ginger Ale Rhysy Soda Making 2 08-17-2008 09:22 PM


Forum Jump