Forgot to flame bottle mouth during bottle harvest - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Forgot to flame bottle mouth during bottle harvest

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
ikkyu
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Posts: 41


Rookie mistake. I was harvesting some yeast from a Saison Dupont bottle and forgot to sanitize the mouth of the source bottle. I sanitized the neck and cap before opening the bottle. I opened the bottle, poured 80% of the beer in a glass and then immediately poured the rest of the beer into my starter, without flaming the mouth first. So, whats my risk factor for contamination? Everything else was cleaned and then sanitized thoroughly using San-Star.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Boise, ID
Posts: 1,608
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts


10%, maybe? I never flame the mouth when making a starter, and I've been good so far.
__________________
"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
ikkyu
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Posts: 41

Well, paranoia got the better of me. Shelled out $10 for two 12 oz bottles of Saison Dupont, cooked up some wort with yeast nutrient and tossed in the dregs after wiping the mouth of the bottle with sanitizer and flaming it. Peace of mind achieved. Now just waiting for growth. Brewday countdown, T minus three days...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
twigboy2000
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 118

Not sure if you knew, but Wyeast 3724 is the Dupont strain.

-chuck
__________________
It's genius that borders on madness.
http://brewing.twigfu.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
ikkyu
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Posts: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigboy2000 View Post
Not sure if you knew, but Wyeast 3724 is the Dupont strain.

-chuck
Thanks. I would love to have teh option of getting some quality liquid yeast.However, I live in Yokohama, Japan. No local HBS, just some local internet sites. Only one sells Wyeast or White Labs and I need to order liquid yeast from them several months in advance. That is why I am doing the bottle harvest. Oh, and the yeast plus shipping runs $26.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 31,389
Liked 5019 Times on 3389 Posts


I live on the edge. I never flame my lip. I will usually wipe it with starsan on some paper towel though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
FromZwolle
 
FromZwolle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
beecher, il
Posts: 8,555
Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkyu View Post
Well, paranoia got the better of me. Shelled out $10 for two 12 oz bottles of Saison Dupont, cooked up some wort with yeast nutrient and tossed in the dregs after wiping the mouth of the bottle with sanitizer and flaming it. Peace of mind achieved. Now just waiting for growth. Brewday countdown, T minus three days...
yep. this is what i got last time i forgot to sanitize/flame the lip. all other steps were good and sanitary.



it smells like feet and regret.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
permo
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
North Dakota
Posts: 2,952
Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FromZwolle View Post
yep. this is what i got last time i forgot to sanitize/flame the lip. all other steps were good and sanitary.



it smells like feet and regret.
Maybe a CornNut got in there

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
twigboy2000
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkyu View Post
Thanks. I would love to have teh option of getting some quality liquid yeast.However, I live in Yokohama, Japan. No local HBS, just some local internet sites. Only one sells Wyeast or White Labs and I need to order liquid yeast from them several months in advance. That is why I am doing the bottle harvest. Oh, and the yeast plus shipping runs $26.
Ah, I'd do the same in that case. Good luck with the culture. Give yourself plenty of time to let it attenuate too. That strain is a notorious long fermenter.

-chuck
__________________
It's genius that borders on madness.
http://brewing.twigfu.com

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updated Successful Bottle Harvest PurpleJeepXJ Fermentation & Yeast 13 08-14-2011 09:35 PM
First bottle-conditioned yeast harvest question legaleagle37 Fermentation & Yeast 1 07-06-2011 01:18 AM
Bottle Harvest - Failure? T2P Fermentation & Yeast 24 04-26-2011 04:20 PM
bottle harvest starter size? HItransplant Fermentation & Yeast 20 01-02-2011 06:32 PM
Can you flame the top of a better bottle when harvesting? scoundrel Fermentation & Yeast 3 07-13-2010 04:32 PM


Forum Jump