hop pellet sludge in the primary - racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckeyeOne

Reaction score
I just brewed my fourth batch yesterday --- an IPA. I used hop pellets for the first time in the boil. As expected, a ton of hop pellet sludge made it into the primary despite the fact that I poured the wort through a strainer.

I'm not worried about off-flavors, as this issue seems to be settled based on what I've read so far in the forums. My question is about racking to the secondary. When using the racking cane to rack to the secondary carboy, should I plan to use a nylon bag over the end of the tube to prevent hop particles from making into the secondary? I'm racking to a secondary to dry hop.

You could do that, but if the beer sat in the primary long enough (at least 2 weeks) then the hop sludge should be compacted with the yeast cake in the bottom of the bucket. Just siphon from the top down and leave a little beer in the bottom of the primary. Plus after the beer sits in the secondary for a week or two the yeast and sludge will settle out some more.

Back