Dry hop - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry hop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
Willbrew
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Monroe, Georgia
Posts: 84


I just racked from primary to secondary and i am dry hopping my IPA with 1 oz columbus and i was wondering if i should do this in my cooler at the same temperature as my fermentation ( which was 68 degrees) or at room temp



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Haputanlas
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 2,975
Liked 59 Times on 58 Posts


I would leave it at 68 degrees if it were me. Your warmer temp would impart the dry hop characteristics a little quicker, but I like to keep my fermentation temps pretty constant.

If you can raise it to room temp and keep it within 2-3 degrees at all times, then I'd suggest upping the temp.


__________________
"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Dogphish
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Beach, VA
Posts: 651
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


i would do warmer temp. 75 degrees would be fine. why go through the hassle of temperature control if it's not necessary?

if you did things correctly (made sure specific gravity is constant) before dry hopping, then the yeast is not active. the only reason you're supposed to hold at 68 degrees is because the yeast will produce bad flavors when you stress it with heat.
__________________
Tap: Centennial IPA (SMASH)
Tap: Dogfish Head Ginger Saison
Bottle: Stone 11th Anniversary Black IPA clone
Secondary: Flemish Brown Sour Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Willbrew
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Monroe, Georgia
Posts: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogphish
i would do warmer temp. 75 degrees would be fine. why go through the hassle of temperature control if it's not necessary?

if you did things correctly (made sure specific gravity is constant) before dry hopping, then the yeast is not active. the only reason you're supposed to hold at 68 degrees is because the yeast will produce bad flavors when you stress it with heat.
Would dryhopping at 75 degrees add a different flavor profile than 68?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,048
Liked 7616 Times on 5360 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbrew View Post
Would dryhopping at 75 degrees add a different flavor profile than 68?
I don't know. I've read on this forum that temperature control doesn't matter much when the fermentation is finished, but I never had the guts to try it. It really seems to me that if you want the best beer, that you'd keep the beer at the optimum fermentation temperature.

I would keep the beer no higher than 70 degrees if possible, even for dryhopping, but that's more of a gut feeling than any scientific basis.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Willbrew
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Monroe, Georgia
Posts: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I don't know. I've read on this forum that temperature control doesn't matter much when the fermentation is finished, but I never had the guts to try it. It really seems to me that if you want the best beer, that you'd keep the beer at the optimum fermentation temperature.

I would keep the beer no higher than 70 degrees if possible, even for dryhopping, but that's more of a gut feeling than any scientific basis.
That sounds pretty reasonable. I think i will keep dryhopping at my original ferment temperature. Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Celticway
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Lawrenceville, GA, GA
Posts: 333
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


I also dry hop at ferm temp.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump