Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Picking a yeast to fit a Grand Cru

Old 08-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
deputyandy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Picking a yeast to fit a Grand Cru

I'm brewing AHS's Belgian Grand Cru next weekend http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...bcbb5db579c9b9

I wasn't sure when the kit would arrive via UPS, so i didn't opt for purchasing the yeast from AHS so if i wanted to make a starter it would be ready in time for brewing on saturday. I can pick up yeast from my LHBS and go from there.

Anyway, AHS suggests WLP500 (Chimay i think). I've been thinking about experimenting with the recipe and using a different strain. I have limited experience with all the different yeasts out, but Wyeasts Forbidden Fruit and Belgian Ardennes both seem appealing. Anyone offer any idea on how these yeasts would match this kit? I'm looking for a slight tart, crisp, clean strong golden ale.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
deputyandy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bump....buehler???? Anyone???

Old 08-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 624 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 251

3463 or 3522 would both be good choices.

The Forbidden Fruit gets it's name because of a nice fruity flavor. I have used it several time for wheat beers with orange and coriander and it is one of my favorites.

3522 is a l little cleaner without big flavor but is very nice. I use it for a Belgian Blonde I brew and like that brew.

I like them both and would not hesitate using either one.

Try them both at some time and decide which flavor profile you like.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I think either of those yeast will be good choice. I like the idea of splitting batches and trying both.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Labrewtories

Old 08-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
deputyandy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I'm leaning towards the ardennes for a strong golden style type rather than the wit type. I'm debating how much to pitch. I know under pitching can make some nice belgian esters but with a higher og I think I have to make a decent size starter.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #6
deputyandy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I ended up going with WLP 570. Going for bone dry and slightly fruity.