IPA is gonna be bone dry... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > IPA is gonna be bone dry...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
bottlebomber
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts



Just did an british IPA, 6.5 gallon batch, 15 lbs of marris otter gave me 1.082 and hit it with 18 ounces of candi after 24 hours to bring me up to 1.090. Here it is now, 4 days later, my gravity is down to 1.020 and its still fermenting strong, going to lose at least 5 more points, maybe 8. I had hoped for a little sweetness in the brew. Might have to look into back sweetening... better than a stall I guess



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 AM   #2
hough77
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Lockport, Illinois
Posts: 226
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


What is back sweetening?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Ohio
Posts: 7,577
Liked 620 Times on 543 Posts


Keep it dry, and add lots of dry hops. Should be good at 9.5%. I just had one that went from 1.080 to 1.005. Will be bottling that one in 2 weeks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
bottlebomber
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hough77
What is back sweetening?
Its a somewhat iffy process of trying to sweeten a beer post fermentation with non fermentable sugars such as lactose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder
Keep it dry, and add lots of dry hops. Should be good at 9.5%. I just had one that went from 1.080 to 1.005. Will be bottling that one in 2 weeks.
More hops you think? I bittered with 2 ounces of nugget, then added 6 oz E kent and 6 ounces of Fuggle mixed at 15 and 5 minutes. Its got an @sston of hops... im not saying it'll be bad, im just used to these bigger brews being a little sweeter, like 1.020 or so. Ill probably let it do its thing and see what happens. I mashed at 148 so I was expecting it to be highly fermentable but not to this extent.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
BrewThruYou
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Ambler
Posts: 1,689
Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Here it is now, 4 days later, my gravity is down to 1.020 and its still fermenting strong, going to lose at least 5 more points, maybe 8. I had hoped for a little sweetness in the brew. Might have to look into back sweetening... better than a stall I guess
If you were hoping for sweetness, a single base malt and pure sugar probably wasn't the way to go.

And maybe it won't drop to 1.015 or 1.012 (which I wouldn't call bone dry to begin with) if you are just going by airlock activity to judge the continuous strong fermentation. I prefer my IPAs (albeit American IPAs) to finish around 1.012.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
bottlebomber
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou

If you were hoping for sweetness, a single base malt and pure sugar probably wasn't the way to go.

And maybe it won't drop to 1.015 or 1.012 (which I wouldn't call bone dry to begin with) if you are just going by airlock activity to judge the continuous strong fermentation. I prefer my IPAs (albeit American IPAs) to finish around 1.012.
I was hoping to showcase the MO which I've not used before, so I just went with that.. I can tell from the activity inside to carboy that its still in active fermentation, along with the fact that the gravity is falling steadily



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump