Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Company Reviews > Brewers Equipment Review

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
bmunos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Brewers Equipment Review

Hello all. Well I ordered a Brew Stand From Brewers Equipment and I thought I would share my experience thus far. First of all I ordered the two tier stand, a pump and a propane holder. I ordered the stand without burners since I already have the large 10inch banjo burners. I ordered and sent the money on May 26th of 2011 and i was told I should receive the stand in 4 to 6 weeks. Unfortunately i have not received everything I need to brew and it is Aug. 17th. The stand came in last week without the pump, propane holder and gas fittings. I called Marcus (the owner) and he told me the parts were shipped right after the brew stand. As for the stand itself the burners do not fit in the bottom tier of the stand, but the stand is HIGH QUALITY. Man it looks great! Marcus has been super polite and when I can get ahold of him he seems to be very understanding. However, Marcus has been hard to get ahold of and my issues have not been resolved. So bottom line...Buy the stand if you have the time to wait. Also I would have him provide the burners but thats just me. I will keep everyone updated on the stand...

Update: I talked to Marcus the builder and it sounds like he has had a rough week. He is working through a strenuous few weeks of phone outages and health related issues. My stand parts were legitimately miss-placed by UPS and should be here by the end of this week. Like I said the stand is definitely worth the wait...

Service: Average
Quality: Good
Timeline: Terrible

Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
bnmir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Crud. I just ordered a stand from him early August and was told 3 wks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
bmunos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Im sure it will work out

Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
chromados
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I can completely understand your frustrations. I ordered my single tier system with simple modifications, a RIMS tube, and pump from Brewers Equipment Nov of last year and finally got my stand at the end of march. This did not include the RIMS tube or pump. After another 2 months and no pump or rims cause the pump was always back ordered or whatever I finally canceled the pump on my order and just ask him to ship the RIMS tube what he finally did.

I love my stand but I too was told that the wait time would be much shorter than the actual wait time. For the price I dont think you can get a nicer stand, but like you said you have to have a lot of patience. So you are not alone.

Chromados

Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

hard a similiar situation. forgot the burners and the control panel arm. in the end i got it all, just way past the quoted timeline. Looks liek the OP got the V1 2-tier stand without the extra wheels on the bottom tier.
Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Whoa! I am super lucky then. I ordered the electric stand with 2 optional pump mounts on 6/20/2011 and I received it on July 29, 2011 although with some slight shipping damage to one of the stand legs.

The 4 casters are mounted on an approx 18" long square tubes which slides into the 4 vertical corner square tubes. One of stand corner vertical tubes had been bent out of square just at the opening during shipping and the leg tube would not slide in. I felt I had 2 options, return the stand from IL to TX for repair or repair it myself. I chose #2 and with a crowbar, hammer and patience I was able to get the vertical tube square enough to accept the leg piece (along with a little Vaseline).

Then problem #2 appeared. The stand rocked corner to far corner on level ground. The leg seemed to slide into the previously bent corner vertical a little too far compared the rest of the stand legs. I contacted Marcus via email and he said he would send me spacers to fix the issue. After an additional prompt for the spacers 2 weeks after my initial request I received them yesterday. He sent me 4 spacers which appear to be round washers he fabricated into square shapes that fit into the stand vertical tubes. It took 2 spacers and all is well now.

I sent him a thank you email and got an "on vacation" automated response. He is "closed" until 8/22.

In comparison to others I did really good.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Terrible website too

Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't know Marcus and I've never done business with them but I will chime in as a startup business owner. Based on the limited info I've been reading here, I'm guessing he still has a day job because his margins on these stands are way too low to live off of. Odds are he's personally welding everything, painting, etc. It always takes longer than you think it should. I run into this stuff all the time. I'll be fabricating sight glass kits and packing orders for hours after dinner and finally get to bed at 2am and the damn alarm clock is ringing at 7am to get to my real job.

However, the small business owner's sob story aside, the one thing I strive to do is be completely honest about turn around times and make sure potential customers know when they can expect things to show up. The best bet is to estimate long and send it early for a pleasant surprise. If you lose a couple customers using that practice, at least the ones you do win are 100% happy. Raising prices is probably a better way to control volume if you have more volume than you can handle.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I don't know Marcus and I've never done business with them but I will chime in as a startup business owner. Based on the limited info I've been reading here, I'm guessing he still has a day job because his margins on these stands are way too low to live off of. Odds are he's personally welding everything, painting, etc. It always takes longer than you think it should. I run into this stuff all the time. I'll be fabricating sight glass kits and packing orders for hours after dinner and finally get to bed at 2am and the damn alarm clock is ringing at 7am to get to my real job.

However, the small business owner's sob story aside, the one thing I strive to do is be completely honest about turn around times and make sure potential customers know when they can expect things to show up. The best bet is to estimate long and send it early for a pleasant surprise. If you lose a couple customers using that practice, at least the ones you do win are 100% happy. Raising prices is probably a better way to control volume if you have more volume than you can handle.
Being one Marcus' customers I will say the product really is of good quality. I think his focus should be on communication with his clients. I told him as long as I was kept informed I would be patient. If he improves communication, he would improve overall customer satisfaction.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
drunkmonk59
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

ahhh, Placed and paid Feb 9th. Lot's of upgrades and some modification ($$$). He's also done work to my brand new kettles sent straight to him from Blichmann. This puppy better hum and need nothing when it finally does get here. There were UPS labels made for Stand and two kettles on Aug 12th, but they still have not arrived to UPS facitlity!! This was suppossed to be enroute by now. Everything has been well documented to this point. That's all I'm saying for now.

I will be sure to let eveyone know how things turn out, when it gets to NC.