bottling wand mishap - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > bottling wand mishap

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
EmptyH
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Northern KY
Posts: 74
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I have a very cheaply made spring loaded bottling wand (will be upgrading this weekend) that has a tendency to stick in the open position. I was bottling my Hefe yesterday and the wand got stuck, so I am trying to fill the bottle, hand it off to my assistant to cap and move the wand to the next bottle without spilling too much beer (it looked like a bad I Love Lucy episode ). Two of the bottles got over-filled, one of them almost to the brim.

My question is; does this increase my chances of bottle bombs? I have put the two bottles inside of the bottling bucket, with the bucket lid set on top, and I figure I will sample the one most full in a week. Will the reduction in head-space cause the pressure to increase too much?

Thanks,

MTH
__________________
Primary-Hefe
Secondary-Stout
Bottled- Vanilla Stout
Drinking- English Brown Ale, Amber Belgian Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,959
Liked 73 Times on 46 Posts


Time to start kegging, bro. I don't know about the bottle bombs, but I think it works backwards. Too much head space = overcarb, too little = undercarbed, but I could be wrong. When mine used to get stuck and overfill a bottle, I'd just pour a little back into the bucket and fill it to the right level.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
Time to start kegging, bro. I don't know about the bottle bombs, but I think it works backwards. Too much head space = overcarb, too little = undercarbed, but I could be wrong. When mine used to get stuck and overfill a bottle, I'd just pour a little back into the bucket and fill it to the right level.
I believe this is indeed how it works. Too little head space will result in undercarbed beer.

As for the kegging, it has its merits but isn't for every situation.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
DraconianHand
nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DraconianHand's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Maryland
Posts: 491
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Perhaps I am incorrect, but I thought you wanted to fill the bottle to the brim when using a bottling wand. When you remove the wand from the filled bottle, it leaves the correct amount of head space (and uniform headspace too).

I have been bottling this way for a while and no explosions.
__________________
MATT - 65g in 2k8
3rd Circle Brewery


Ferminatin' - Route 666 Pale Ale

Figurin' to do - Oatmeal Stout, Gueuze, Belgian Blonde, Mild, English Pale Ale, Weizenbock

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
EmptyH
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Northern KY
Posts: 74
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesamskid
Perhaps I am incorrect, but I thought you wanted to fill the bottle to the brim when using a bottling wand. When you remove the wand from the filled bottle, it leaves the correct amount of head space (and uniform headspace too).

I have been bottling this way for a while and no explosions.
Thats the way it is *suppose* to work, however the wand was leaking, when I removed it, it did not stop dispensing and over-filled the bottle. I had to stick it into another bottle quickly because it was spilling onto the floor and by that time my assistant had already capped the completely full bottle.
__________________
Primary-Hefe
Secondary-Stout
Bottled- Vanilla Stout
Drinking- English Brown Ale, Amber Belgian Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,959
Liked 73 Times on 46 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
As for the kegging, it has its merits but isn't for every situation.
C'mon, now it has A LOT of merits. You have to admit that kegging is way less hassle. Hell, it only takes 10-15 mins to go from carboy to kegged beer in the fridge. Bottling is a whole ordeal but I'll still bottle my hefe's and special beers, keeping the "daily" beers on tap.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
boo boo
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Hearts's Delight, Newfoundland
Posts: 4,165
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyH
Thats the way it is *suppose* to work, however the wand was leaking, when I removed it, it did not stop dispensing and over-filled the bottle. I had to stick it into another bottle quickly because it was spilling onto the floor and by that time my assistant had already capped the completely full bottle.
Why do you cap so fast?

When I bottle ( just myself ) I fill each bottle and just place a cap on top.
During the time I'm filling the rest of the bottles, there is co2 formed inside
the bottles causing the o2 in the headspace to be pushed out. You can
hear the slight popping of the caps when this happens if you listen closely.
__________________
How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
C'mon, now it has A LOT of merits. You have to admit that kegging is way less hassle. Hell, it only takes 10-15 mins to go from carboy to kegged beer in the fridge. Bottling is a whole ordeal but I'll still bottle my hefe's and special beers, keeping the "daily" beers on tap.
True, but like you mention there are some beers that just need bottles . Bottling in itself isn't all that bad imo.

Empty, one thing you can do if it is one of those non-spring type nipple valves is to do a quick jab into the bottom of the bottle. That usually works for me.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,330
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
True, but like you mention there are some beers that just need bottles . Bottling in itself isn't all that bad imo.
I am a kegger. Despite my recent bottling mishap...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...20&postcount=9

I agree with zoebish01.

It's the only way that you can get a vertical sample of a recipe.
Easier to gift or provide people samples (beer trades).
Gets you back into label design and simple marketing of your product.

I bottled for years then abandoned it for kegging (for years). I definately fell out of the practice and as a brewer I feel I need to get my skills back up to speed. It's one of those things that will help complete my brewery.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
casebrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
San Diego
Posts: 848
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


I had some trouble with my wand last batch. They went away once I pulled and twisted on the end of the 'feeler'. I think there is a rubber washer inside that got off kilter.

I use the bigger size "wine bottle wand" because it is faster. So pulling it out of the bottle leaves the bottle half full. Then I have to trigger the valve against the inside of the neck til full to about 1/2".

I bottle. I have all the stuff for kegging, but I don't see the fridge space for a corny when I drink one botttle per day. A separate fridge would cost more than the homebrew. Your livestyle will make the decision for you.
__________________
So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My bottling wand is gone... rflem550 Bottling/Kegging 10 04-28-2016 01:24 AM
Oxygenation through Bottling Wand. BrooZer General Techniques 9 04-16-2007 03:39 PM
clogged bottling wand todd_k Bottling/Kegging 5 10-15-2006 01:08 AM
Bottling Mishap Frantic211 Bottling/Kegging 6 05-10-2005 12:54 PM


Forum Jump