Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Made the Primer water, now bad eff. and no hop flavor

Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #21
Kayos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

1 sparge soaking for 10 minutes. Second heating up same as first but heat to 170.

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #22
Kayos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Second sparge is soaking and I'm letting them go 10 minutes to see if that is the problem. The last couple of batches I have taken them out in less time reading that there is no need for a mashout if you batch sparge.

Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

Old 08-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #23
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts

You should be able to generally exceed 50% into the kettle easily without sparging. Download Kai's mash efficiency spreadsheet and make sure you are getting nearly full "conversion efficiency" as he defines it.

Remember that 100% efficiency is based on a Congress mash which uses distilled water. People vastly overestimate the importance of minerals in the mash.

If you are using Rahr as your base malt, that stuff apparently gives a distilled water mash pH of 5.5 (lower than dark munich) for some reason. There may be other brands like that. For those base malts and most grist, no acid is probably the correct amount. That said, even with the assumption that your base malt mash pH is that low and the amount of acid malt you used, you should be at 5.2 at least which is lower than ideal but can't be responsible for horrible efficiency.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #24
Kayos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

OG into boiler???????
Small Blind:

Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #25
Kayos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

1.046. Right where it used to be. 69%. Geez, it's like taking your car to the mechanic.

It must have been either the crush from morebeer or the lazy sparges I have been doing.

I will post to this thread when I get it all finished.
Thanks again for all the help, AJ and Remilard!
Small Blind:

Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #26
EvilBrewer
Begak!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos View Post
1.046. Right where it used to be. 69%. Geez, it's like taking your car to the mechanic.

It must have been either the crush from morebeer or the lazy sparges I have been doing.

I will post to this thread when I get it all finished.
Thanks again for all the help, AJ and Remilard!
For what it's worth, I had a very mysterious drop in efficiency one time when I ordered an all grain kit from an online supplier who shall remain nameless. I've always been happy with their products (both before and after) so it's nothing against them...but I'm about 99.99% certain that the kit they sent me actually contained much LESS than the reported amount of grain. I'm sure it was a mistake; the person who put the kit together probably mis-read the scale or whatever. Anyway, I literally got like a 58% efficiency on that batch. I assumed the kit contained 12 pounds of grain as advertised (but I suspect it more likely contained closer to 10 or 11). Moral of the story is pretty obvious: always make sure to measure everything for yourself.

I have since verified for myself the hops and grain measurements for all kits that I've purchased and have not seen another discrepancy in my efficiency. I also re-measure the grain and hops that I hand pick from my LHBS once I get home just in case their scale is off!

Anyway, good luck.