Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Question

Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
RecruitNBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast Washing Question

After racking my Belgian Wit to the keg, I swirled the remaining contents of the fermenter and dumped the yeast, trub, etc. into a sanitized 1000Ml flask, covered it and threw it in the refrigerator.
I had forgotten about pouring in the sanitized water first per the Yeast Washing Illustration sticky. Can I still wash this yeast or should it be dumped?
Any help would be appreciated!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Since your flask was sanitized, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't go ahead and wash it. If I'm planning to brew with the yeast in the next week or so, I don't even wash it, I just pour into a jar and stick it in the fridge as you did. I think as long as your sanitation is good, you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
RecruitNBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm noticing little particles suspended in the yeast (not settling to the bottom even under refrigeration). I assuming they are small pieces of the chamomile that I used in the Wit. Should I try to strain that stuff out or is it harmless?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I would just decant the liquid with the suspended particles and pitch as much clean slurry as you need for your next beer (use the calculator at mrmalty.com to estimate how much). It's unlikely that a few hop or chamomile bits will have much flavor impact on 5 gallons unless you're making something really light. Ideally your next beer would also feature chamomile, but as homebrewers, we don't have to be terribly concerned with quality control.

If you're really worried about it, you could always follow the process from the illustrated sticky and see if that cleans things up a bit.