Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Grounding just the element in kettle?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Grounding just the element in kettle?

Quick question I can't find an answer for. I am looking to turn a kettle into an ekettle. Because of my design I have no good way of grounding the kettle without soldering or drilling the pot (which I REALLY don't want to do). I however can ground the element very easy. Since the element is the source of the electricity and not the kettle would grounding the element alone be fine, or do I really need to ground the kettle as well?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Isn't the fact that the element is connected to the kettle and then the kettle itself becomes the ground to your stand and then grounded from your outlet? I just saw this was unanswered and I am a maint supervisor so I am just thinking hw tanks since I really know little about electric brewing.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
ekjohns
Recipes 

I was looking at putting a washer on the inside and out so the element would be free floating and not contact the kettle.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
ekjohns
Recipes 

Sorry o-ring not washer

Old 08-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5016 Times on 2989 Posts
Likes Given: 4188

It is important that you ground the pot. If you are sure that the thing you are grounding (i.e., the element threads) will remain in permanent electrical connection with the pot, then your solution is good.

The reason for grounding is so that your GFCI (or breaker, god forbid) will trip when a hot line contacts the wort or pot. That's it. If you don't have a good ground, the electrical current has no place to go, and the safety devices won't trip until you grab the pot while in bare feet.

If you have a GFCI, you will probably still live and might not even know what happened (other than the circuit went dead). If you only have a breaker, it's very unlikely that your body will conduct well enough to trip the breaker, and you'll probably die.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
ekjohns
Recipes 

Everything will be connected to a GFCI for sure. I couldn't even imagine brewing without it. I think what I'm going to do is run a ground wire soldered to the element to my sight glass/thermometer kit and call it a day. It will not be as clean as I like but living is a positive.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
Everything will be connected to a GFCI for sure. I couldn't even imagine brewing without it. I think what I'm going to do is run a ground wire soldered to the element to my sight glass/thermometer kit and call it a day. It will not be as clean as I like but living is a positive.
ekjohns, I posted in your other thread as well. Another option is that you could use your reducing washer with the hole in it but instead of looping the ground around it and soldering it you could sandwhich it between the reducing washer and the kettle itself. This is what I did last night. So it would go (From inside kettle to outside) : lockwasher > O-ring > Kettle > O-ring > (This is where the ground is sandwhiched) reducing washer > element base.

EDIT: To be more clear the ground wire sits above the outside o-ring and the reducing washer is what smashes / keeps it in place to the kettle. I wish I had a picture.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
ekjohns
Recipes 

So it is held in place by the pressure of the o-ring against the kettle? So it would go inside to out " locknut > o-ring > kettle wall > ground wire (smashed) > o-ring> washer > element ?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
ekjohns
Recipes 

I wonder if I put another SS washer with a diameter slighlty smaller than the outside o-ring that my tightening it up enough it would make contact with the reducing washer and the kettle wall but the o-ring would still be pressing enough on the kettle wall and reducing washer to seal

Old 08-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
So it is held in place by the pressure of the o-ring against the kettle? So it would go inside to out " locknut > o-ring > kettle wall > ground wire (smashed) > o-ring> washer > element ?
No its held in place by the reducing washer after the o-ring. The reducing washer is bigger in diameter than the o-ring so the ground sits on top of the o-ring inbetween the void (The size of the o-ring) of the kettle and the reducing washer. Does that make sense? This is where a picture would be worth a 1,000 words.