Man that's bitter...astringent? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Man that's bitter...astringent?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Imbranato
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 32

I had the same problem with my first few (5) all grain batches. My bitterness was from the 60 minute hops. I was agitating the heck out of them during the boil, because I thought I was getting more goodness from the hops. It turned out that I was getting waaay too much bitter from the hops!
Is this your problem? The easiest way to tell is to taste the hops that float at the top of your boiling wort and see if the flavors match on your next batch.

If so, then don't worry it will age out in a month or three.

Cheers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
Waldo
 
Waldo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
N.E. Iowa
Posts: 283
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Water ph, water hardness, mash ph and sparge water ph can all contribute to atringency and or harsh bitterness from hops. As I said before you cannot judge bitterness by tasting unfermented wort, it will almost always be extremely bitter.
__________________
Life is to short and the liver can only handle so much, so why waste it on bad beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
Imbranato
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 32

Greg, let us know what works for you!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
Water ph, water hardness, mash ph and sparge water ph can all contribute to atringency and or harsh bitterness from hops. As I said before you cannot judge bitterness by tasting unfermented wort, it will almost always be extremely bitter.
True. Adding gypsum to already hard water accentuates the hop bitterness.
__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #15
orion2598
 
orion2598's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Madison, WI
Posts: 78
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts


Thanks again everyone. I will taste it again in a week or so at bottling and then after it has time to condition for 2-3 weeks. Let's hope for the best!

I'll post a follow-up report.

Greg

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #16
orion2598
 
orion2598's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Madison, WI
Posts: 78
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts


Good idea. Next time I brew a batch I will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbranato
I had the same problem with my first few (5) all grain batches. My bitterness was from the 60 minute hops. I was agitating the heck out of them during the boil, because I thought I was getting more goodness from the hops. It turned out that I was getting waaay too much bitter from the hops!
Is this your problem? The easiest way to tell is to taste the hops that float at the top of your boiling wort and see if the flavors match on your next batch.

If so, then don't worry it will age out in a month or three.

Cheers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #17
Waldo
 
Waldo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
N.E. Iowa
Posts: 283
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbranato
I had the same problem with my first few (5) all grain batches. My bitterness was from the 60 minute hops. I was agitating the heck out of them during the boil, because I thought I was getting more goodness from the hops. It turned out that I was getting waaay too much bitter from the hops!
Is this your problem? The easiest way to tell is to taste the hops that float at the top of your boiling wort and see if the flavors match on your next batch.

If so, then don't worry it will age out in a month or three.

Cheers
Agitating the hops by stirring won't affect the hops, it may cause some HSA but I don't see it affecting the bitterness. As far as tasting the hops durning boil, I doubt you can really tell the difference. I know that when I add say magnums @ 60 minutes and taste the wort then add cascades @ 10 minutes it all taste the same to me over the top bitter.
__________________
Life is to short and the liver can only handle so much, so why waste it on bad beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
Imbranato
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 32

Orion, If you are interested have a look at this thread, this was me working my way through my bitter/astringient flavor issue...
http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/93476

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #19
orion2598
 
orion2598's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Madison, WI
Posts: 78
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts


Thanks for the thread, that makes me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbranato
Orion, If you are interested have a look at this thread, this was me working my way through my bitter/astringient flavor issue...
http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/93476

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #20
orion2598
 
orion2598's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Madison, WI
Posts: 78
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts


Ok, so I got a little impatient and took a sample with the thief last night. First off, it was still pretty bitter. I decided it kind of reminded me of plain carbonated water, which I think tastes bitter. After sampling this I waited a bit and tried one of my extract brown ales. I did detect some of the same flavor although barely. So, I think everyone was right and it is just hops bitterness. Strange how it tastes different from the really hoppy beers I've had.

Next time I think I'll use less hops with a full boil!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with astringent after taste? MashStirBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 05-01-2008 06:21 AM
Any way to fix an astringent brew? Plan9 General Techniques 12 04-29-2008 05:56 PM
Bitter astringent/tannin flavor Phan71 General Techniques 6 07-29-2007 11:28 PM
Holy cripes thats bitter/astringent... Thaumaturgist Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 04-14-2007 06:10 AM
What causes astringent taste? max-the-knife Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 10-17-2006 08:06 PM


Forum Jump