Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Man that's bitter...astringent?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Imbranato
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I had the same problem with my first few (5) all grain batches. My bitterness was from the 60 minute hops. I was agitating the heck out of them during the boil, because I thought I was getting more goodness from the hops. It turned out that I was getting waaay too much bitter from the hops!
Is this your problem? The easiest way to tell is to taste the hops that float at the top of your boiling wort and see if the flavors match on your next batch.

If so, then don't worry it will age out in a month or three.

Cheers

Old 04-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
Waldo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Water ph, water hardness, mash ph and sparge water ph can all contribute to atringency and or harsh bitterness from hops. As I said before you cannot judge bitterness by tasting unfermented wort, it will almost always be extremely bitter.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
Imbranato
Recipes 

Greg, let us know what works for you!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
Water ph, water hardness, mash ph and sparge water ph can all contribute to atringency and or harsh bitterness from hops. As I said before you cannot judge bitterness by tasting unfermented wort, it will almost always be extremely bitter.
True. Adding gypsum to already hard water accentuates the hop bitterness.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #15
orion2598
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks again everyone. I will taste it again in a week or so at bottling and then after it has time to condition for 2-3 weeks. Let's hope for the best!

I'll post a follow-up report.

Greg

Old 04-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #16
orion2598
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Good idea. Next time I brew a batch I will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbranato
I had the same problem with my first few (5) all grain batches. My bitterness was from the 60 minute hops. I was agitating the heck out of them during the boil, because I thought I was getting more goodness from the hops. It turned out that I was getting waaay too much bitter from the hops!
Is this your problem? The easiest way to tell is to taste the hops that float at the top of your boiling wort and see if the flavors match on your next batch.

Cheers

Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #17
Waldo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Cheers
Agitating the hops by stirring won't affect the hops, it may cause some HSA but I don't see it affecting the bitterness. As far as tasting the hops durning boil, I doubt you can really tell the difference. I know that when I add say magnums @ 60 minutes and taste the wort then add cascades @ 10 minutes it all taste the same to me over the top bitter.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
Imbranato
Recipes 

Orion, If you are interested have a look at this thread, this was me working my way through my bitter/astringient flavor issue...
http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/93476

Old 04-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #19
orion2598
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the thread, that makes me feel better.

Quote:
Orion, If you are interested have a look at this thread, this was me working my way through my bitter/astringient flavor issue...
http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/93476

Old 04-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #20
orion2598
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Update

Ok, so I got a little impatient and took a sample with the thief last night. First off, it was still pretty bitter. I decided it kind of reminded me of plain carbonated water, which I think tastes bitter. After sampling this I waited a bit and tried one of my extract brown ales. I did detect some of the same flavor although barely. So, I think everyone was right and it is just hops bitterness. Strange how it tastes different from the really hoppy beers I've had.

Next time I think I'll use less hops with a full boil!