Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > rye burbon for oaking?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
jfrank85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default rye burbon for oaking?

The RIS I brewed calls for soaking oak chips in burbon for a week or two then adding it to the secondary for another 2weeks to a month. They recommend makers mark but i added about 8oz of rye to my mash (yeah not alot but just maybe enough to taste) and i was wondering if anyone has ever used rye burbon in their ris. I would think it would tie in nicely with the rye that is already in the beer. Any thoughts?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
0110x011
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It really depends on what rye whiskey you choose. Some ryes are much closer in flavor to bourbon than others. That said, I love using rye whiskey to oak my big beers (it works especially well in English barleywine IMO). The spiciness adds an extra level of complexity that I really enjoy. Get a bottle of Rittenhouse for something less expensive, or get Michter's if you want to go for the gusto.

And watch my show! www.NewBrewThursday.com

Primary:
Secondary: Sour Red, Saison Tarté Noire, Flemish Red A/B, Flemish Oud Pale, Sour Experiment A/B/C/D
Kegged: Summer Spiced Saison, Rakau Pale Ale, Saison d' Tablé, International IPA, Belgian Witbier
Bottled: OaksterDAMN Barleywine, Saison Noire, Royale with Cheese, Awkward Encounter Wild Ale