Ss Brewtechís Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > British beer (bottled) recommendations
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default British beer (bottled) recommendations

Hey folks,

This isn't exactly a homebrew question, but I am a homebrewer and, despite my lack of posts, have been reading these forums a lot over the past couple years and have come to trust the opinions of you homebrewers on all things beer-related, so there.

A friend of mine is currently in London, and before she left, I gave her a few of my homebrews to give to the guys hosting her. In return, she said she'd bring back a few bottles of British beer for me.

Thing is, I don't know much about British beer, except the typical English bitter, nor have I drunk much, except the one ESB you find here (Fuller's). So I was hoping you all, especially the Brits/Londoners out there, could give me some suggestions. She'll probably bring back 3 bottles, and here's what I'm looking to get:

- all 3 different styles
- preferably traditional styles and/or ones that really define British beer
- something that's difficult to find outside London/Britain/Europe
- something that's not too difficult to find in London (my friend knows very little about beer to begin with)

P.S. You don't need to limit your reply to 3 beers... give me your top 3, 5, 10, whatever.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ask her to get you something from the Kernel Brewery...

The website gives details of their beers and where to get them.

The other one to look at would be Meantime.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

I highly recommend trying this. If your into the old ale style at all. One of my favorite britis beer styles. Luckily one of the local micrbrews makes it.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 56

It may be difficult to find, but the best English ale I've had in a while was the Thornbridge/Dark Star collaboration brew called Coalition:

Good call on Meantime. I've had their Coffee Porter and IPA, both excellent. Beautiful packaging and labels, too.
OD: ?
Keg: Simple AIPA (2-row, Chinook, Cascade, WLP090)
Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

Budweiser, Miller, Coors.