Apfelwein from real apples! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Apfelwein from real apples!

Old 08-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
RobWalker
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Birmingham, England
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

It goes something like this;

1) Realise apples on friend's tree are ready to pick
2) Pick said apples and be bothered by neighbour's cat for a while. Play baseball with apples and large pole.
3) Cut out bruising, cores and mould, blend and strain apple junk through muslin bag into bucket.
4) Add campden tablets to prevent oxidization
5) Add to demi-john with Montrachet Wine Yeast and Glucose
6) Ferment and age for 6 months, then bottle and prime for a sparkling wine.

Took us about 1.5 hours to make almost a gallon, which was quite a bloody lot of apples. Oh well...I'm undecided on sugar quantities yet as the home brew shop isn't open until tuesday, but I'll grab some then and bring it up to 1.070 - 1.080.

Apple variety is unknown, so no need for Tannin/Acid Blend etc as I have no idea what to add! Oh well. I suppose this is single variety and they seem to be something along the lines of Pink Lady apples - soft and powdery, a little sharp, pink and light green in colour.

Updates to come!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Georgia
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I wonder if the apples are ripe at the vacant house on the corner. I guess I need to go for a walk. Maybe after my nap....

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty

Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
RobWalker
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Birmingham, England
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

A small update, i've been able to get to the LHBS and buy the glucose required to bring it up to apfelwein (2 pounds.) The apples themselves fermented out quite quickly so I'm lucky to get the sugar in before fermentation stopped! Something to do with the fact it's still got plenty of skin in, I guess.

How I've never noticed before I will never know, but metric conversions really can pay off - 1kg is 2.2 pounds, which leaves me with 0.2 pounds of sugar left to prime! Wheeee.