Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > FG woth Krausen? What the french toast?

Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Hefanatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default FG woth Krausen? What the french toast?

I am brewing a Sam Adams clone, which requires a dry hop addition after fermentation slows/stops. I decided to take a gravity reading today and I noticed upon opening the lid I still have 1/2" thick krausen on top. I almost didn't take my gravity, but decided to anyhow. I took it 2 times and both times got 10. The final gravity for this brew should be around 13. So not only am I a little low (not a huge concern in my mind), but I have hit FG. It's hard for me to believe that I have actually hit FG considering there is still krausen, but maybe I am just crazy. Any thoughts? Thanks.

*with (drinking home brew)

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Old 08-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

sometimes the gunk on top can stick around a little while after fermentation is complete, also maybe you had an aggressive yeast that can eat more sugar than you think. Let it sit a few days and check again. predicted FG is not a magic wall that the beer hits, its more of an idea of what to look for. fermentation is dynamic and a few points here and there are normal as far as fermentation on a small scale goes.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
Hefanatic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
sometimes the gunk on top can stick around a little while after fermentation is complete, also maybe you had an aggressive yeast that can eat more sugar than you think. Let it sit a few days and check again. predicted FG is not a magic wall that the beer hits, its more of an idea of what to look for. fermentation is dynamic and a few points here and there are normal as far as fermentation on a small scale goes.

Yeah, I just have yet to have a batch (save for this one) that had krausen when FG was achieved. Either way, I am gonna let this one sit for a little while longer. Plenty of home brew to drink while it does its thing. I just thought it was a little odd. I was more curious about the krausen, as FG is always an estimate.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

probably still a lot of co2 still in the solution even after fermentation is done.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
Mpavlik22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

While taking a FG reading is the only way to tell if fermentation is complete, i would leave it in there until most of the Krausen drops.