Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Mixed-Berry

Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
ZAZusmc03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

So I just got a batch of this together. I had to make some slight adjustments because there was no cherry pie filling at my local grocery store. So I substituted red raspberry filling for the cherry, and I used 2 grape concentrate, and 2 white grape raspberry. Hoping it turns out well. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #22
tbecker
Recipes 

Default campden tablets? degas?

Do we need to throw in any campden tablets? Also, do we need to degas before bottling?

Old 08-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #23
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

a) not really. Campden is used at the beginning of a batch to forestall any yeast already present on fresh fruit from taking hold, and used at the end to help prevent from oxidation during bottling. Because there's no fresh fruit, as long as you don't splash a lot and use a bottling wand you should be fine. But then again, it wouldn't hurt anything if you added them.

b) I find that if your wine still has that much carbon dioxide dissolved in it, then it can stand to sit a while longer in the carboy anyways. But I don't degas even when I do rush a batch along. It loses a lot of the carbonation racking to the bottling bucket and what is there is already at equilibrium with the outside air pressure at room temperature so it doesn't pose a bottle bomb/rocket risk.

Enjoy!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
smagic14
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thinking about trying this as my first wine mostly a beer Brewer. .. do I need a 5 gallon carboy for the secondary or will a 6.5 be alright?

Good thing the Badgers play at 11 so I don't feel bad having a drink at 8AM

You can't drink all Day if you don't start early!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #25
CGish
Eternal Tinkerer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I know this thread is old, but I do not see another related to this wine.

Here is my rather screwed up story of making this wine.

I started the recipe on 11/25/12 with a O.G. of 1.114 and used a Lalvin D-47 yeast. Life promptly got in the way and I walked around the primary fermenter for two years (yes, years). I did not pull off the fruit or rack the wine off the lees. On 11/6/14 I finally racked to a 5 gallon carboy and half filled a 1 gallon carboy. On 11/26/14, I bottled the wine and parked it in boxes. The final gravity was 1.034, so the fermentation must have stuck. I used zorks to cap the bottles. I had very low expectation for the finished product. The small taste at bottling was decent for a sweet wine, but tasted a little thin. On Wednesday (12/3/14) I opened a bottle to taste. I was surprised to find a clear, clean, sweet berry wine with no off favors detectable through the residual sugar. (They are probably there, but the wine is sweet enough to send a diabetic into a coma.) In spite of this, the wine is very drinkable. I have included a couple pictures.

Not sure what the moral of this story is -- Never give up until you've drank at least one bottle?

Cody
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixed Berry 1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	240096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixed Berry 2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	240097  
Brewing is science, math, chemistry, biochemics, horticulture and culinary arts rolled into one, yet comes out to become a beautiful smooth sensual thing that brings out the idiot in everyone! - kybar
Pyg Likes This 
Old 12-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #26
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Crystal clear! Love it! Inspired me to make a batch this weekend.