Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much does it smell?

Old 10-01-2005, 02:09 AM   #1
orrisma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much does it smell?

I have never brewed anything, but I would like to try.
Could any one tell me how much homebrewing smells? I live in an apartment, so I don't have a lot of room to vent it. If I kept everything in a closet would it be able to be detected in the room?
Thanks
-Matt

Old 10-01-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
Shambolic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hehe...I find this question a little sus...

The one part that will really stink the place up is the boil. When it's fermenting, you'll get some smell, but not much, depending on how fast fermentation proceeds.

I would think that if you stuck your fermenter in a cupboard, it shouldn't be detectable from the room.

Bottled/Drinking:
Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Lobrau Amber Ale (Mk. II)
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...
Quantum Pale Ale (Mk. II)

Old 10-01-2005, 03:22 AM   #3
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I do the initial boil, it stinks up my entire house. Do you have windows and ventilation fans? If so, and if you use them, it won't be too bad. Lots of people get a propane turkey frying setup and do the boil outside for this very reason. If you have to do it inside, though, it's definitely only a short term thing.

Once it is in the fermenter the smell is minimal. The most recent batch I am making has made my basement smell, but it's actually a very pleasant aroma. (I can't wait to get the stuff bottled and start drinking it)! The batch before that didn't really smell at all. A carboy in a closet won't cause any problem at all.

Old 10-01-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
cap46
Recipes 

My favorite part is the smell of the gains and malt. My wife thinks it stinks my son thinks it smells like cheez-its. Me I think it smells great and that something really good is going to come from it. Just like sour kraut some people think that it smells great others think they are going to puck.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I agree with Cap - I take exception to the term "stink." To me, it is the smell of possibilities, the scent of a future of profoundly good sipping. However, my wife and daughters would not argue with the word!

Old 10-01-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
Waldo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
How much does it smell?
Not nearly enough! This is my first batch and I must admit, I have on several occasion stood there bent over with my nose over the fermentation lock just to get a wiff of whats going on in that bucket.

Old 10-01-2005, 05:37 PM   #7
gibfried

Recipes 

Growing up on, and around farms all my life Pappy used to take a deep breath of the fresh aroma of pie rising from the moist earth - Cow Pie that is. He'd say, "Mmmnn, the smell of money..."

Same thing with this whole process.

I know - bad analogy. But anyway, I've never noticed any smell, except during the main boil. I love the smell during the boil because I enjoy the whole process, although some who do not brew may find the smell a bit odd. Then if you decide to go all grain - you'll notice that instead of any strange odors during the boil, the aroma will be very pleasant - even to others.

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Aging: Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey
Drinking: Heavenly Honey Wheat,Chocolate Stout, London Porter, Big Fat Fatty's Oatmeal Stout, Pete's Porter, California Not So Common, Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey, Maple Brown
Upcoming Brew: Bass Clone, Fosters (a light drink for those who think beer has to be light).

Old 10-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The boil smells. Alot. I think it smells good, and my roommates are getting used to it but friends that happen by on brew day often have a range of reactions.

I love the smell, particullarly the hops. Only thing that caught me off guard the first time was how hungry it was making me

Old 10-01-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
rewster451

Recipes 

I'm brewing a pumpkin beer currently and I used real pumpkin. This is only my second beer, and the first one didn't smell at all when it was fermenting, but this one has a distinct milky sort of aroma. Milky and bready. Kind of good, but not like pumpkin at all. I believe this is ok, but I don't know. Any thoughts?

Old 10-01-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Many of us like the smell of boiling wort.

At least it's better than Kimchi! Make that just one time and NO ONE will complain about your brewing smells again. EVER!!