Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > First smoke

Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
DodginBUIs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First smoke

Just got a GOSM and fired it up for the first time (after seasoning it) last night. Made some bacon wrapped chicken breasts that came out fantastic. Smoked for 225 for about 3hours and turned it up briefly to crisp up the bacon at the end before pulling them out. Im hooked... A pork butt is goin on on Sunday and I cant wait.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0070.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	31642  

Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not sure what a GOSM is, but the best tip for the first timer is keep the lid shut.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
thataintchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1287 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That looks tasty.

2nd first timer tip... always wear shoes when working with coals, smokers or burning things. Third degree burns on your feet suck.

Just saying.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataintchicken View Post
That looks tasty.

2nd first timer tip... always wear shoes when working with coals, smokers or burning things. Third degree burns on your feet suck.

Just saying.
Ouch! I BBQ in flip-flops and never really worried about that. I do wear welder's gloves and am thinking about a thick, leather butcher's apron for flying cinders. Now you have me worried about my feet.

OP, that sounds and looks terrific! Welcome to ManCooking!!

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I remember one time I decided to speed up my charcoal chimney by hitting it with some compressed air. I was wearing flip-flops. It was funny to everyone who wasn't me. On the upside I learned that when in great duress, I really can dance.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
DodginBUIs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

GOSM = great outdoors smoky mountain, its a vertical propane smoker that walmart carries. after reading these charcoal stories im pretty glad i chose propane

oh and as for keeping the lid shut, ya its tempting to open the cabinet door, but i held off. I didnt want the temps all over the place and it loses a ton of heat when the door gets opened. i was able to peer in through the vent in the top and take a peek to calm the desire to see whats goin on in there

Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbaldman View Post
I remember one time I decided to speed up my charcoal chimney by hitting it with some compressed air. I was wearing flip-flops. It was funny to everyone who wasn't me. On the upside I learned that when in great duress, I really can dance.
I scared the myself ****less with my chimney. I placed it down on the concrete and went inside to get my gloves so I could move the coals around inside my ugly drum smoker after I poured in the hot the coals. I forgot about it for about 5 minutes, came back outside to my concrete spalling and sending the chimney 20-30 feet and blowing a bunch of hot coals in my parents yard/pool.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodginBUIs View Post
Just got a GOSM and fired it up for the first time (after seasoning it) last night. Made some bacon wrapped chicken breasts that came out fantastic. Smoked for 225 for about 3hours and turned it up briefly to crisp up the bacon at the end before pulling them out. Im hooked... A pork butt is goin on on Sunday and I cant wait.
Just so you know, I will be driving around with my windows down smelling for that pork.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
DodginBUIs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

haha, you'd have a good shot at finding me if you're in Coral Springs. im in Parkland

Old 08-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodginBUIs View Post
haha, you'd have a good shot at finding me if you're in Coral Springs. im in Parkland
Challenge accepted.