Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > What welder are you using?

Old 08-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Runyanka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What welder are you using?

I am still wanting to build my own brew stand, however, I don't feel it will be worth it money wise if I have to buy a $600 welder, plus materials. I have been looking for welders and found this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...der-98871.html

I plan on using 2"x2"x16ga tubing for the stand, please give me feedback on the welder itself, and I would be curious to see what welder you guys are using.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
FoundersBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would purchase a quality welder, Miller, Lincoln, etc. because you will use it much more than you think. My dad gave me a small miller wire feed and I thought I would use it every now and then, turns out I use it all the time. So, with that being said, think of it as a good investment that will soon pay for itself.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Runyanka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What about one like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3647 Times on 2480 Posts
Likes Given: 2444

I think most people have had decent luck with the HF welders, but I would suggest going a bit higher on the amps. And I would not even consider getting a MIG welder without a gas setup to go with it. The ease of use and quality of welds with gas is amazing IMO.

I spend a fair amount for a Lincoln HandyMIG and it works pretty good, but I've already had to replace the heat range switches on it, so they are not infallible.

If you are a handy person, just owning a welder is a good thing. I bought mine to do body work on my old mustang and have found a TON of other uses for it. It makes fixing and building things a whole lot easier.

But my advice is to spend closer to $200 and see if you can get a gas rig for that, even if it's a 110V HF model. And if you weld a LOT, going with a Miller or other big name is going to be more important.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have a Lincoln 140 Mig Welder. I bought it used on craigslist for $250 including helmet and gloves. Definitely worth it.

If you don't want to spend the money, maybe see if they have a tech shop near you where you use the tools in their shop and just pay for time. I know they are popping up all over.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3647 Times on 2480 Posts
Likes Given: 2444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
That is exactly the model I have and it works well. Note that you get a gas option with that, but you still have to buy a cylinder and have it filled.

It should weld brewstand material very easily. Car body panels might take a bit of practice. 1/8" stock seems to be pretty nice with it.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

120 volt Miller Mig. My other hobby is tinkering with motorcycles and this is a great set up to own. Yes Harbor Freight is a cheaper in price welder and hey you might love it, but IMO, do yourself a favor and buy a nicer welder.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 496

I bought this one harborfreight 120A 230V mig-and & flux welder a few years ago. I have it set up for mig welding with gas instead of flux wire. It works very well for me. It took me a while to learn the process (lots of test my skills welds) but it does a nice job. As much as I use it, the price was right for me. I didn't want to dump a bunch of $'s on something I would only use once in a while.

Edit: BTW, I also do SS welds with it. With the correct wire, it's good to go.

Reason: Added thought

Old 08-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm pleased with my Lincoln 140HD. It will do most anything in my relm of experience and know how. LOL I may regret it one day not getting its bigger brother in the 220v category. But right now it does a nice job with what I want it to do.

BTW, the right shielding gas makes a world of difference. I dunno if yours has the regs or does gas as an option. But there is a whole lot less mess. Especially since I am a weekend warrior/welder.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver165 View Post
BTW, the right shielding gas makes a world of difference. I dunno if yours has the regs or does gas as an option. But there is a whole lot less mess. Especially since I am a weekend warrior/welder.
You have that right. I use shield gas with a regulator and also back gas shield the weld when I do SS work. Works great for me.