Need Advice: Fluke K-Type Thermometer - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Need Advice: Fluke K-Type Thermometer
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 639
Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Default Need Advice: Fluke K-Type Thermometer

I'm tired of crappy, inconsistent, inaccurate thermos. So, I started poking around Ebay for laboratory calibre thermos and stumbled upon Fluke. There are a few older models (Fluke 51, 52, etc.) on there for reasonable prices that I think would fit the bill nicely.

Here is an example:

My question...the K-Type bead thermocouple that typically comes with these...are they completely submersible (meaning the bead AND the wire)?



...I'm back baby!!!!
johnodon is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
passedpawn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 24,820
Liked 6317 Times on 3736 Posts
Likes Given: 5489


I have a new model Fluke 52. It was a good meter until it fell in my mash (just momentarily). I've taken it apart several times to get it working (and was successful once), but it's dead now (shows "CAL?" on the screen, always). So, my advice to you, keep the meter away from water.

I have coated thermocouples that I use in my brewery, so I can't answer your question about them. I also have some of the bare bead ones, but I've never tried to submerge them.

- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 80
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11


Hoping to revive a dead thread here.

Are all type-k thermocouple probes compatible with all meters? Or specifically, can I buy a Fluke meter and use Thermoworks probes with it?
cjever19 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 306
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2


I have a fluke 87v and use the supplied thermocouple it came with.I think the thermoworks k type couple would work fine in my meter.(it looks the same}
Fat_Bastard is offline
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blichmann Thermometer vs Bobby_M's EZ Weldless Sight/Thermometer Combo Pivzavod Equipment/Sanitation 14 07-18-2010 12:01 AM
What type stainless is it? silverbrewer Equipment/Sanitation 1 05-18-2009 07:23 PM
Type of keg for a kettle? bdaddy Equipment/Sanitation 2 05-18-2009 03:08 PM
What type of carboy noobrewer Equipment/Sanitation 15 12-14-2007 03:55 AM
Freezer type SAS98M Equipment/Sanitation 8 03-25-2007 01:15 PM

Forum Jump