Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Wanting to back sweeten with apple concentrate?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
img
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wanting to back sweeten with apple concentrate?

Hey guys, new to the forum here. I started my 5 gallon batch of cider about a month ago and sorbated it yesterday. My question is in regards to back sweetening. I would like to get more of my apply flavor back into the cider and also make it so it's not so dry. Currently it's sitting right around 0.990. I was wanting to to back sweeten with apple concentrate but have no clue how much I should add(how many cans) per gallon. Also, I will be bottling these rather than kegging. Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks guys!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Kula
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you backsweeten then bottle you will certainly get bottle bombs, or in the very least some very over-carbonated cider.

You can backsweeten then pasteurize in the bottle but it's tricky. Bottles must be completely submerged in near boiling water for probably at least ten minutes.

There are people that swear by this, but I've had very uneven luck with it, and I've had to dump quite a few bottles that were getting dangerously over-carbonated.

Do a search on "stove top bottle pasteurizing" and you should get to some threads that have covered this extensively.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you have a keg system, I can tell you how safely and effectively make a carbonated draft cider. If you don't you have to bottle pasterize - see the sticky that pappers put up at the top of the cider thread.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
img
Recipes 

I was under the impression that by using the correct amount of potassium sorbate and campden tablets that it would cease further fermentation allowing you to back sweeten with real sugar.

I got my info from this website

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp

Unfortunately, I don't have a keg system. So I can't force carb it. I'm only wanting to back sweeten to taste rather than get carbonation. I don't mind still ciders.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 23

i assume you let it clear and then racked carefully and then sorbated? if not the yeast can still be active. however much sugar/juice you add i would definitely leave it under airlock for a week to make sure there is no additional fermentation

Old 08-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Well I guess since you said you added sorbate, you will be bottling still, right?

I made a 5 gallon batch of cider and added back 3 cans of concentrate and to me it was about right. I would suggest starting with 2 and tasting it. You can always add more and taste is really the only indicator that matters IMO.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
img
Recipes 

Strange. My other post was not added to the thread. Anyways, it was cleared and racked proper. I was planning on adding apple concentrate and putting an airlock and keeping an eye on SG for about a weeks time. If it does start fermenting again, is my batch completely wasted or is it still useable?

Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #8
Jasperrrr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by img
Strange. My other post was not added to the thread. Anyways, it was cleared and racked proper. I was planning on adding apple concentrate and putting an airlock and keeping an eye on SG for about a weeks time. If it does start fermenting again, is my batch completely wasted or is it still useable?
Well if it resumes fermentation then you have the option to bottle carb? If you want still cider, and dont want to sorbate again, try cold crashing? If it starts up again you'll prob boost ya ABV and it'll only get dryer. So add, wait, use yer hydrometer, and then decide I guess.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Jasperrrr
Recipes 

If u wanna be sure it doesn't restart fermentation, I would ( and im a noob) only add half a can of apple concentrate every 3 days or so until desired taste and no further ferment is achieved?

Old 08-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
oldmate
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jasperrrr, no, whatever sugar you add back into solution after your primary fermentation will cause another fermentation regardless of how slow you add it in. If you don't mind still ciders then you can always stabilise with sorbate and metabisulphite, or as others have said pasteurise. There is of course an in-between which is finding the sugar concentration of the concentrate and adjusting your addition to bottle carb, similar to carbing with sugar.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale