Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cinnamon/vanilla addition

Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
dhathazy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My pumpkin beer is already in secondary, did that a couple days ago. The sample I tasted didn't seem to have as much spice come through as I would like. Thinking about adding some cinnamon stick to the secondary and maybe some vanilla extract before bottling. I think I'm going to use the method of boiling the cinnamon stick and pouring in the secondary. Other posts that I read indicate putting the cinnamon "tea" in the secondary first and then rack the beer. Being that my beer is already in the secondary I will be pouring my cinnamon into the beer. You think that is OK?

Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #12
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts

Maybe rack onto your cinnamon tea when transferring to your bottling bucket/keg to ensure even distribution through your beer.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
vegas20s
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I know I used two whole vanilla beans in the secondary of a stout once and I couldn't taste them at all. If I used vanilla beans again I would definatly soak them the in something, probably whiskey though. Not a real vodka fan.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
dhathazy
Recipes 

Any thoughts about just throwing the sticks of cinnamon into the secondary as you would with hops to dry hop?