Extract addition in last 15min of boil? - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract addition in last 15min of boil?

Old 04-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #31
GoBrewers
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Minneapolis, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I'm certain tha process has already happened before the extract was reduced.

However, if your beer is too cloudy you can always use gelatin a couple of days prior to bottling.

I know the instructions for gelatin say to use it at bottling, but that stuff looks UGLY!! I use it in the carboy then rack to a bottling bucket a few days later. It works well.
Do you find that gelatin works better than other clarifying agents, like irish moss or whirlfloc? I've only tried whirlfloc, and it seems to work ok, but I'd try gelatin if you vouch for it.

EDIT: I guess I've always liked the tablets because you add them at the boil, when there is no risk of bugs.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #32
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Yes. Gelatin DEFINITELY works!

Some people might say that it works too well and strips too much yeast out of the solution, but if you keg you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #33
mikes65
Recipes 

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclesamskid
My understanding is that ME is basically wort that has already been processed and reduced down to a powder or syrup. Therefore, any processes that require boiling have already been done for the ME.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

It's funny... I find that this is an awful lot like raising kids in the aspect that everybody's got an opinion on how to do it, and the ideas are often VERY different. People like the guy that runs my LHBS are very, VERY knowledgeable, but when I take ideas that he says and bounce them off others I often recieve very different results.

Bottom line I guess is that it's all about experimentation, and finding out what works for you.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #34
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Manor, Tx
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes65
Bottom line I guess is that it's all about experimentation, and finding out what works for you.
Isn't that what homebrewing is supposed to be about?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #35

You guys are saying that the hot break doesn't need to occur - Right?

Doesn't this fly in the face of most of the advice given by the experts in the hobby? Chucks TNCJOBH says you need to boil to precipitate and coagulate the undesirable proteins. - Or is this now bunk?

Your logic is that it has already been done with DME & LME. I'm not 100% convinced of that. I can understand no boil kits as having already done that and possibly hopped extracts.

Does anyone know if the mfg of LME & DME changed in the last decade? I know the ME is boiled under a vacuum at temps 105-160'F

This is interesting.... might be worth contacting Briess or Muntons to see what that have to say about this.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #36
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Manor, Tx
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
This is interesting.... might be worth contacting Briess or Muntons to see what that have to say about this.
Agreed.......do it!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #37

I emailed them both. Briess & Muntons - Asking specifically about the need for the hot break and the motivation to minimize caramelization of the sugars.

Got one reply back already. Out of office message....

I should have an answer on Monday.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #38
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Good job!

Old 04-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #39
GoBrewers
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Minneapolis, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
I emailed them both. Briess & Muntons - Asking specifically about the need for the hot break and the motivation to minimize caramelization of the sugars.

Got one reply back already. Out of office message....

I should have an answer on Monday.

Any word from Briess or Muntons? Don't mean to be a pest, but I'm kind of interested to hear what they have to say

Old 04-12-2007, 05:24 AM   #40
z987k

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Anchorage
Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts

I've done my last two with late extract additions, the first with putting a bit in with the bittering hops and the second I held out all the extract until about 10mins. We'll see what color they come to.. These were both LME btw.