EBay fish tank controller build using Wal-mart parts - Page 24 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > EBay fish tank controller build using Wal-mart parts
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #231
Brewing_Between_Games
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Redlands, California
Posts: 14

Perfect! Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #232
Brewitt
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Brewitt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Encinitas, CA
Posts: 852
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts


Thanks for the design and all the great info. I just found a refrigerator to use. I got my STC-1000 yesterday. I have most of the other stuff laying around. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use an aquarium heater as the heating side of this arrangement. It is just a regular plug in heater that I thought I would turn on high and just plug it in. Will it generate enough heat to provide the warm side in a 18 cf fridge?

Thanks in advance for any help.


__________________
______________________________________
"Here's to brewers yeast, that humblest of all beasts
"
Adam Cole (aka cadamole) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dzUOYTQtQ)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #233
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,879
Liked 163 Times on 132 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
Thanks for the design and all the great info. I just found a refrigerator to use. I got my STC-1000 yesterday. I have most of the other stuff laying around. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use an aquarium heater as the heating side of this arrangement. It is just a regular plug in heater that I thought I would turn on high and just plug it in. Will it generate enough heat to provide the warm side in a 18 cf fridge?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I could be wrong, but I always though that fish tank heaters are only to be used when submerged?

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #234
Brewitt
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Brewitt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Encinitas, CA
Posts: 852
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
I could be wrong, but I always though that fish tank heaters are only to be used when submerged?

MC
I finally took the two seconds to look that up online and you are correct. No go. That leaves me with a light bulb or a small heater.
__________________
______________________________________
"Here's to brewers yeast, that humblest of all beasts
"
Adam Cole (aka cadamole) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dzUOYTQtQ)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #235
CGVT
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
CGVT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 1,900
Liked 599 Times on 364 Posts


I use a light bulb. It works well.
__________________
"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #236
Brewitt
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Brewitt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Encinitas, CA
Posts: 852
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts


Just finished my build and did the initial testing. Works wonderfully. The whole thing cost me less than $30 since I had a few of the parts laying around. I used a deep double gang box from home depot that required no cutting at all. Plugged in the refrigerator and light and all seems well. Trying a couple of temperature changes and watching it over time. Still need to finish the heat lamp setup as I am just using a clip on light for now. Just a test, not fermenting.

Thanks to the OP and others for their guidance.
__________________
______________________________________
"Here's to brewers yeast, that humblest of all beasts
"
Adam Cole (aka cadamole) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dzUOYTQtQ)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #237
Stoneciphes
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 26
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


any issues using a light bulb given that it promotes algae growth? Keeping beer out of the light like a vampire seems to be a common suggestion.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #238
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,879
Liked 163 Times on 132 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneciphes View Post
any issues using a light bulb given that it promotes algae growth? Keeping beer out of the light like a vampire seems to be a common suggestion.
Well light bulbs also put out UV light, so the "light bulb in a paint bucket" trick would work. Or just use a ceramic heat lamp.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #239
fluidmechanics
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 146
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Mark

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #240
jerryk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Posts: 88
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Or get a ceramic heater from Walmart.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ebay aquarium temp controller build android Fermenters 4126 08-02-2015 05:45 AM
Plastic-Mart $135 15 Gallon Conical Tank & Stand rkulp89 Fermenters 17 02-11-2012 11:22 AM
Cheap temp controller on eBay Bartp Fermenters 1 02-01-2011 01:54 PM
Control 12V w/ Ebay Aquarium Controller? autobaun70 Fermenters 5 01-27-2011 03:23 PM
Anyone use this temp controller off ebay? Mongo64 DIY Projects 27 05-07-2010 08:58 PM


Forum Jump