Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming Sugar Question
Old 08-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Priming Sugar Question

I brewed my pumpkin ale about 4 weeks ago, it was in the primary 2 weeks, then I transferred to a carboy. I didn't take into consideration the massive amount of trub there would be and I ended up with only about 4 gallons of beer. I don't want to overcarb the beer so I'm looking for advice on how much sugar I should use to prime.

On a related note, could I prime this with brown sugar? If so, I'd appreciate any suggestions or tips on that. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2900 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 3530

Generally speaking, it is about 1 oz/gallon of beer. So rather than 5 oz for 5 gallons you would use 4. That's for corn sugar.

Yes you can use brown sugar, it's really good in pumpkin beers. Gives a a nice flavor right at the first sip.
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
struggling author
Liked 3121 Times on 2687 Posts
Likes Given: 2229

You could even use demerara (raw cane sugar),as it has a light brown sugar flavor laced with honey. I'm going to try priming my English bitter with it. This should help determine how much of what type of sugar to use.
My sci-fi & home brewing books on amazon-kindle now! New additions coming!
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle!
My homebrewing book "Tippy Tippy Tappy" on Kindle!