South Florida Hop Growing - Page 13 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > South Florida Hop Growing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #121
shataway
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
North Palm Beach
Posts: 221
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJohnson

84 inches. Wow! You must be doing something right. Mine are 2 months old and the longest bine is only about 3 feet high. What's your secret?
Remember, three bines totally 84 inches. No secrets here. Just planted on the South side of the house where it gets shade by early afternoon. I panted using Miracle Grow potting mix that had some sort of 6 month fertilizer. And I hate snails and slugs with no reservation and nuke them first and ask questions later. Snail and slug getta plus is my weapon of choice.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #122
StanJohnson
 
StanJohnson's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Titusville, Florida
Posts: 232
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shataway View Post
Remember, three bines totally 84 inches. No secrets here. Just planted on the South side of the house where it gets shade by early afternoon. I panted using Miracle Grow potting mix that had some sort of 6 month fertilizer. And I hate snails and slugs with no reservation and nuke them first and ask questions later. Snail and slug getta plus is my weapon of choice.
Ooops. I went back and read your original post. Must be the bomber of Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti I've got a couple of bines that are doing good. The rest are short, 2 feet or less. I'm kinda just letting them grow since they are first year rhizomes. I hope to get enough hops from them this year to do some wet hops additions for aroma to a brew this fall.
__________________
RDWIWBB

Stan

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #123
shataway
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
North Palm Beach
Posts: 221
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJohnson

Ooops. I went back and read your original post. Must be the bomber of Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti I've got a couple of bines that are doing good. The rest are short, 2 feet or less. I'm kinda just letting them grow since they are first year rhizomes. I hope to get enough hops from them this year to do some wet hops additions for aroma to a brew this fall.
Same here. I think it is strange that 1 rhizome put up 3 bines and the other just put up 1. Will let them go and see what happens.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #124
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Posts: 6,143
Liked 744 Times on 575 Posts


Yea probably near 50 so far on all 4 bines combined. Every new set of leaves has come with 2 more cones. The bines are about 12-16 ft. Container grown from crown, sprouts broke ground mid march. Im pretty stoked to say the least, bring on the cascade
__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Black Caesar RIS
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Simcoe/Galaxy/Citra IPA, Weizenbock, Smoked Porter, Key West Best Bitter, Gz Up - Gose Down
On Deck : Imperial Dry Hopped Sour, Jackfruit Hefeweizen, Pink Lemon Wit

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #125
StanJohnson
 
StanJohnson's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Titusville, Florida
Posts: 232
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
Yea probably near 50 so far on all 4 bines combined. Every new set of leaves has come with 2 more cones. The bines are about 12-16 ft. Container grown from crown, sprouts broke ground mid march. Im pretty stoked to say the least, bring on the cascade
Banana dancing is just gloating 12-16 ft and hops. Damn. I'd be stoked too.
__________________
RDWIWBB

Stan

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #126
StanJohnson
 
StanJohnson's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Titusville, Florida
Posts: 232
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shataway View Post
Same here. I think it is strange that 1 rhizome put up 3 bines and the other just put up 1. Will let them go and see what happens.
Of my two rhizomes, the last one to break ground has the most growth. It has more and longer bines. I was worried about it at the beginning. Letting them go worked for me.

I need to figure out this "multi-quote" thing.
__________________
RDWIWBB

Stan

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #127
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Posts: 6,143
Liked 744 Times on 575 Posts


Definitely gloating haha..... Are you keeping it well watered? Mine has been a really thirsty plus the high humidity. Once they take off they take off but until then they are getting their roots ready for it and establishing its crown. They also love Nitrogen
__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Black Caesar RIS
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Simcoe/Galaxy/Citra IPA, Weizenbock, Smoked Porter, Key West Best Bitter, Gz Up - Gose Down
On Deck : Imperial Dry Hopped Sour, Jackfruit Hefeweizen, Pink Lemon Wit

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #128
StanJohnson
 
StanJohnson's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Titusville, Florida
Posts: 232
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts


I think I may have an iron deficiency from over watering them, among other things. Check out this thread I've been posting on.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/help...plants-329826/
__________________
RDWIWBB

Stan

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #129
whis121surfing
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 50
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Any Idea what is up with my Cascade? All my other hops are doing just fine and i haven't done anything different to any of them. Used mostly good organic soil mixed with mushroom and bat compost.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cascade leaf.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	63297   Click image for larger version

Name:	hops.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	63298  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #130
Rbeckett
 
Rbeckett's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Bronson, Fl
Posts: 995
Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts


I got little cones on my puny little first year plants!!! Bout as big as a pencil eraser right now, but cones none the less. I'm thrilled...
Bob
__________________
What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hop Growing in South Florida RangerG Hops Growing 39 09-28-2011 03:51 AM
Hops looking good in South Florida Pwrflpills Hops Growing 2 06-08-2010 01:59 AM
Growing Hops In Florida? kypher Hops Growing 1 04-07-2010 12:51 PM
Central Florida Hop Growing??? gunnyg Hops Growing 29 07-20-2009 12:08 PM
Growing Hops in Florida? Frilock Hops Growing 2 05-20-2008 04:26 PM


Forum Jump