Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Recipe tweaks?
Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Recipe tweaks?

Hi all-

I just tried my latest batch of cider, and it is wayyy too much like white wine, albeit carbonated. Will using an ale yeast change this? In this last batch I used Lalvin D-47, which (surprise surprise) is recommended as a white wine yeast.

My recipe was as follows-
4/5 Mott's 100% AJ
1/5 Earl Grey tea
1lb Honey

It spent two months in primary before I bottled, and spent three weeks bottle conditioning.

Any suggestions for lessening the "winey" flavor?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 177 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Most yeasts will take a cider down below 1.000 specific gravity, so unless you stop the fermentation and/or backsweeten you'll pretty much always should expect something wine-like. Obviously, different yeasts will provide different flavors, but most of the wine character I perceive in ciders is the dryness. With My first cider (a few years ago), I used straight fresh apple cider and an ale yeast (s-04, I believe) in an attempt to leave it more sweet. It finished at 0.997 or thereabouts. In the end I really liked it, but it was definitely reminiscent of a dry white wine. Basically, you need to actively do something to make it less wine-like. In my experience, changing the yeast is not enough.
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar
Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 265 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 26

use apples instead of supermarket juice
but bear in mind cider is apple wine