Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Finally using Beer Smith properly

Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Finally using Beer Smith properly

I have never really utilized all the functions of Beer Smith. I finally took inventory on all my brewing ingredients and put them into the program. When I put together the brews I want to do this weekend, I just hit the add to shopping cart list, and BAM, all the items I need were put in there. Everything I have as well as what I need to buy. Now I can remove all the items I don't need and print it out, and have just a regular shopping list. This is so cool. I wish I would have started using this much earlier.

Also I can "remove" the items from my inventory, with one click, and then my inventory will remain complete and current. I just need to keep doing it now.

Happy brewing

Primary - Surly Furious clone, Kolsch

Secondary - Hofbrauhaus Lager

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine

Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 6072 Times on 5230 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Yep. Can be useful.

Until you forget to update, remove, or god forbid remove twice after forgetting you had already removed....

Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have always liked that feature.

The only thing now are the horrible calculation issues that affect the water used. Once those are fixed it might be good again.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The only thing I don't like about the inventory function is the inability to make changes to the AA% of hops. I think a good upgrade would be not just the ability to change the AA% in inventory, and then for the system to change the amount of hops you need by comparing the recipe AA% to what's in stock.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
The only thing I don't like about the inventory function is the inability to make changes to the AA% of hops. I think a good upgrade would be not just the ability to change the AA% in inventory, and then for the system to change the amount of hops you need by comparing the recipe AA% to what's in stock.
Am I missing something? You can change the AA% for hops. Just change it before you make the recipe. Then adjust accordingly.

I might not just understand what you are saying though. Wouldn't be the first time.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can change them in the recipe, but you can't change them in inventory. So, if your recipe calls for a bittering hop with 12% AA, and the hop you have in inventory is only 9% AA, you'll need more of it. You'll have to know what your real AA% for each hop every time you brew, instead of relying on BeerSmith, because you're going to have to adjust the amount and AA% every time you use a hop. There's no point in having a hop inventory if you have to override it every time.